cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

ThingWorx Studio and Foundation unable to connect

nishad1092
7-Bedrock

ThingWorx Studio and Foundation unable to connect

Hi,

I hope this post brings me with positive solution.

I have installed Studio server locally, and reaching out to my composer UI using: xxxxxx.studio-trial.thingworx.io:8443/Thingworx/Composer/index.html#

and I am using the thingworx IoT foundation composition from the server launch remotely: https://pp-xxxxxxxxxx.devportal.ptc.io/Thingworx/Composer/index.html#

I am trying to get the data in the studio using the external data pane so that i can visualise the real time data,

I have tried all of the solutions provided:

1. Tried doing federation configuration taking my Studio local server as Source system and IoT server as Target system and vice-versa but after checking with monitoring tool; these servers are not getting published or subscribed. 

2. Tried connecting with POSTMAN; the PUT request works fine with the IoT foundation server but still error with the studio local server.

3. Tried connecting with NodeRed, using the Red Thing, it connected with the IoT but still din get connected with the studio local server.

Plz help me solve this, I want connectivity to the studio server and IoT foundation platform so that I can pull data for 3D visualization. 

Im attaching the postman error for the studio server..:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ytella
17-Peridot
(To:nishad1092)

Hi,

If you are able to pull the required data that you need into the Studio composer, there is no need to connect to the foundation server.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
ytella
17-Peridot

Hi @nishad1092,

Could you please confirm if you are trying to establish communication between Studio ThingWorx Composer: xxxxxx.studio-trial.thingworx.io:8443/Thingworx/Composer/index.html# and remote ThingWorx:  https://pp-xxxxxxxxxx.devportal.ptc.io/Thingworx/Composer/index.html#

Yes, Im trying to communicate between studio (local) and foundation (remote) platform.

ytella
17-Peridot

Thanks for the update! I have tried the federation setup with my local studio and remote ThingWorx instance and it is working as expected. Could you please review the steps given in the below thread and let me know if there are any issues or questions:

TWX Federation Setup Guide

Hi @ytella Thnx for the fast response. I have gone thru this guide multiple times, anyways let me see once again and shall update you. I tried monitoring the communication via the monitoring tool from the composer, it shows error ! and doesnt show the server. Let me run once again and I will respond to this.

Hi, 

I have one clarification to make, 

Im able to push data to the studio composer and manage the things from there and pull the data to the studio using external data pane, which is what I really needed. 

And now, its possible to connect the thing data without connecting to the IoT foundation server, so do we really need IoT foundation server? 

What difference does it make if we connect between Foundation server and studio for IoT data, if I can already do it without IoT foundation server?

ytella
17-Peridot

Hi,

Your studio trial instance is configured with 'xxxxxx.studio-trial.thingworx.io:8443/Thingworx/Composer/index.html' this ThingWorx. So you can directly access the data of this ThingWorx from the External Data panel of Studio tool.

I misunderstood that you want to use the data of your IoT Foundation server on studio tool. You cannot directly use the IoT foundation server data on studio without configuring it in the experience service. One way to achieve this could be by configuring a federation setup between the two ThingWorx instances. Once the federation is successful, you can access the remote thing properties of your ThingWorx [ xxxxxx.studio-trial.thingworx.io:8443/Thingworx/Composer/index.html] instance on External Data panel of Studio.

Hi,

Actually I tried to configure both servers using federation but that way I couldnt get it working, but the studio composer retrieves the data peacefully,

so thats my question, if I can pull data directly from studio composer, whats the purpose of connecting the foundation and studio server ?

ytella
17-Peridot

Hi,

If you are able to pull the required data that you need into the Studio composer, there is no need to connect to the foundation server.

Hi ytella

Sorry my delayed response. Yes, I'm directly able to connect and push real time data and monitor in the studio. 

I have another query of topic about the database, where do I find proper documentation about the database. I would like know things like; 

1. Is it possible to export or connect local database to the thingworx studio and how?

2. Then, how to import a database in excel format to the internal thingworx studio if any.

3. What is the nature of the thingworx studio database? Does it support JSON format?

I would be so glad if you could assist me in this and lead me to the proper place to know all of these.

ytella
17-Peridot

Hi @nishad1092,

I apologize for my delayed response. Below is one approach to use local database data in ThingWorx Studio:

• Open ThingWorx Platform, import the desired database extensions downloaded from PTC marketplace and configure it. Below link has a simple example on how to configure the SQL DB with ThingWorx:
  • After the configuration, you can manipulate the local database data by creating services in ThingWorx Platform.
  • Now, you can use this data in ThingWorx Studio by just adding the entities in the external data panel.

Studio doesn't have a mechanism to import data, outside of using ThingWorx. The experience service has a database attached to it, Studio itself doesn't have one.

Hi ytella,

This is very resourceful. I was waiting for the response. I have another query regarding AR, shall I ask here or start another topic, I wana know which all hardware devices supported thingworx AR experience.

ytella
17-Peridot

Hi @nishad1092,

Glad that I am able to help! I apologize for my delayed response. Could you please provide more details on this request. If you are looking for the supported devices to view the experiences in ThingWorx view app, please refer to the below link for details:

Supported devices and versions for ThingWorx View

If you are planning for a on-premise ThingWorx Experience Service installation, then the Experience Service can be supported only on Red Hat Enterprise Linus (RHEL).

hi ytella,

Thanks for the speed response.

I wanted to know TWx has support for other AR eyewears like epson moverio BT-200, or vuzix blade etc? 

or just Hololens support?

And, May i ask what is Thingworx  Experience Service Installation?

ytella
17-Peridot

Hi @nishad1092,

I see that Eyewear supported device list was answered in this AR Experience thread. 

The experience service for ThingWorx Studio augments ThingWorx core to provide capabilities required by ThingWorx Studio and ThingWorx View. That is, the experience service is used by both ThingWorx studio and ThingWorx View.  When we publish a project in ThingWorx Studio it is stored in experience service. When we scan a ThingMark on ThingWorx view, the view app retrieves the relevant experiences from the experience service.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Yes, It was answered in my other thread. I needed the suggested answer quickly, so posted twice.

I have used the TWx experience via server and composer. Are the features better or different if I install in on-premise, like better database storage ?

Hi Nishad1092, 

It seems to me that you were able to get data into the trail studio composer. I was wondering how you managed to do this. I am able to open the composer but I have no control over any of the settings and cannot add "things". Was this also an issue you faced or did you manage to find a work around this issue? Ultimately, I would like to have live data fed into Vuforia Studio and then view it in Vuforia View. 

Thank you, 

Victor

Hi Victor,

I would be happy to help you out. 

What do you mean by 'you have no control over settings in composer'?

I accessed the composer of the thingworx studio and managed to add the things, added a datashape, a repository and uploaded a csv file, parsed it. and I visualized the data from csv into the Studio using the Data pane feature.

Are you using the trial edition? IS ur server still live ? Because I din face an issue of not able to add a thing. If you could be more clear abt this and attaching some image would help me to support u better.

Regards,

Nishad.

Hi Nishad1092, 

Yes, I am currently using the Trial version of Vuforia studio (formerly named Thingworx studio). Is it possible to do the same things with the trial version? I also have the trial version of Thingworx and I was told I could possibly connect those two. If you know of any way to get around this please let me know. 

Thank you, 

Victor

Top Tags