cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Vuforia View - "Connection Error" while scanning the ThingMark with OnePlus 6

Macierzynski_K
4-Participant

Vuforia View - "Connection Error" while scanning the ThingMark with OnePlus 6

Hi everyone,

I have made the Experience in Vuforia Studio (8.4.0.4300), I set the Experience Service and I published this Experience (Project 2D).
Then I have opened the Vuforia View on my OnePlus 6, I set the Experience Service (same as on my project) and when I try to scan the ThingMark I get an error as on the photo below:
Screenshot_20190306-153042.jpg

I also attached the Vuforia View logs from OnePlus 6.

I have to mention that the same project works on IPad. The only difference is in the device.

What can may cause this error?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Macierzynski_K  Yes, the issue will occur with Android 9 & above due to behavioral changes introduced starting with Android 9.0 (API level 28), clear text support is disabled by default. Changing URL from HTTP to HTTPS in this case Experience Service URL should work.

-Durgesh

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hello,

When reproducing the issue on the OnePlus6, what are the verbose in Vuforia Experience Service ?

It is very strange, I have a case reported by another customer with the same error message on a similar mobile Redmi Note 6 Pro!

I am double checking with him to see if we are in the same hardware and if we have the errors in log of Vuforia View.

If you attach the log from Experience Service, I will have a complete view around this issue and if both are the same problem.

If my expectations are correct, I suppose that a library provided in the android installed on Redmi's mobile is different.

Anyway, in all case, if it is confirmed, I can report that to R&D as a bug.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Samuel

dupatel
19-Tanzanite
(To:sdidier)

@Macierzynski_K  What is the Android OS version ? As this could be due to the fact that Android 9 Apps have to explicitly opt into being allowed to make HTTP (rather than HTTPS) requests.

03-06 16:02:03.872 19982 20374 E TGXIdentityRequestTask: Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cleartext HTTP traffic to ar.ttpsc.pl not permitted

It seems to me that this is related to the Network security configuration in Android 9 (Starting with Android 9.0 (API level 28), cleartext support is disabled by default.) . This issue has already been reported with R&D team under PTC internal ticket reference PSPT-6440  .

-Durgesh

dupatel
19-Tanzanite
(To:sdidier)

@Macierzynski_K  What is the Android OS version ? As this could be due to the fact that Android 9 Apps have to explicitly opt into being allowed to make HTTP (rather than HTTPS) requests.

03-06 16:02:03.872 19982 20374 E TGXIdentityRequestTask: Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cleartext HTTP traffic to ar.ttpsc.pl not permitted

It seems to me that this is related to the Network security configuration in Android 9 (Starting with Android 9.0 (API level 28), cleartext support is disabled by default.) . This issue has already been reported with R&D team under PTC internal ticket reference PSPT-6440  .

-Durgesh

Hello @dupatel  and @sdidier 

thank you guys for answering. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the logs from Experience Service.

My android version is 9.

So can I do something, or I have to wait to Vuforia View developers fix this problem in the next release?

-Krzysztof

@Macierzynski_K  Yes, the fix for issue with View app on Android 9 should come in future releases. As a workaround for now would be to use Android device with OS less than version 9 or have your ES as HTTPS.

Apart from this there are other challenges in using Self-singed certificate with Android devices only ( iOS devices do not have this issue/constraint):

Android seems to be picky about which self-signed certificates it will allow -- or rather it insists that the root of a certificate chain be denoted as a CA, even if it is self-signed.
You might also like to review and aware of the issue highlighted in the post - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37281958/how-to-trust-self-signed-certificate-on-android

So, whatever the root of the CA chain is seems to require the CA: TRUE designation on Android. That includes self-signed certificates. But secondly, use of one's own CA would seem to help. If this is self-signed, then users should only have to install it, not all the downstream certificates produced from it. You can refer to the post https://gist.github.com/Soarez/9688998 and generate certificate with setting up your own CA .

Recommend and better approach is to use a CA signed cert from a trusted vendor for HTTPS with Experience Service, then View application users will not have to install or specially trust anything and is best considering the security measures.

-Durgesh

@dupatel ,

thank you for a quick answer, what my colleague said to me is that the same problem occurs on the Mi Mix 3 with Android 9. So as you said, the problem is with Android version.

@Macierzynski_K  Yes, the issue will occur with Android 9 & above due to behavioral changes introduced starting with Android 9.0 (API level 28), clear text support is disabled by default. Changing URL from HTTP to HTTPS in this case Experience Service URL should work.

-Durgesh

Top Tags