cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

don´t show symbol in my animation

emmanuel001
11-Garnet

don´t show symbol in my animation

Why do not the symbols appear in the animation in my application? , you do not see the screwdrivers or the 
arrows

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Symbols don't transfer from Creo Illustrate to Thingworx Studio. There is a workaround, which is to add the actual symbol models to your BOM in Creo Illustrate. To do this, find your Creo Illustrate symbols library (usually in {user-directory}\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Illustrate\SymbolsLibrary\Shape), and import the *.ol model for the symbol you want into your illustration. Use this instead of the Symbols feature in Creo Illustrate, and it will carry over when you bring it into Thingworx Studio.

--Clay

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Symbols don't transfer from Creo Illustrate to Thingworx Studio. There is a workaround, which is to add the actual symbol models to your BOM in Creo Illustrate. To do this, find your Creo Illustrate symbols library (usually in {user-directory}\AppData\Roaming\PTC\Illustrate\SymbolsLibrary\Shape), and import the *.ol model for the symbol you want into your illustration. Use this instead of the Symbols feature in Creo Illustrate, and it will carry over when you bring it into Thingworx Studio.

--Clay

hi, do you have a example or video or screenshot? 

Here are a couple of screenshots, showing loading the symbol model from the symbol library, and then showing the loaded model in the studio canvas.

And here are a couple of screenshots showing how to do the same thing in Creo Illustrate. When you load a symbol this way, as if it were just another CAD model, it appears in the sBOM as usual.

pcpanos89
4-Participant
(To:ClayHelberg)

Any luck using multiple of the same part (Symbol)? I.E. I want multiple arrows, do I really have to make copies of the arrow in order to import multiple arrows? Otherwise how can I Add mutiple arrows to the animation? This is laughably hard to use vuforia with other ptc software, nothing is intuitive, IMO ^_^.

Not that I'm aware of. Creo Illustrate seems to assume that everything you need will be included in your base CAD assembly.

In cases where I've needed to add multiple instances of an additional component, for example multiple mounting screws, I have done so by creating a CAD assembly consisting of the number of screws I need, and then bringing the assembly into Creo Illustrate. There I can position and animate each screw as needed along with the main assembly components.

I agree, this is definitely an opportunity for PTC to improve the usability of Creo Illustrate. It would be great if they would add support for 3D symbols, and for importing multiple copies of the same CAD object (or duplicating an object in the BOM once it's imported).

(To be clear, what I mean by "support for 3D symbols" is "3D symbols in figures should be included as 3D objects in PVZ publish for import into Vuforia Studio". If that means a separate 3D publish type specific to Vuforia Studio, that would be fine.)

Hi @ClayHelberg,

So far I understand  a statement of PTC Devat least 3d symbols should be supported in Studio

To verify now I tested only in preview mode (I supposed that when preview mode is not working no sense to check on end device) and observed that sequences does not show the symbols added by the Creo Illustrate menu Home(Tab) > Symbols

I tested with Vuforia Studio 8.4.2 and Creo Illustrate 5.1

-sequence with 2d and 3d symbols - > in studio preview no symbols are displayed

-sequence only with 3d symbols - > in studio preview no symbols are displayed

All other Items in the keyframe editor are played as expected but no display for the symbol’s items

so seems still not to work! Unfortunately!

Current Workaround : 

is to add the symbols (as .0l) to the assembly and using the different effects.

Also, 2d symbols should be implemented as 3d object

=====================

Requested info by  PTC  R&D - when I receive an answer will provide here a feedback

Thanks for the update on that. I wonder if there is some new option or setting in Creo Illustrate to force the symbol objects to be exported with the PVZ file when published, but which is off by default?

Hi @ClayHelberg,

just received the following answer from development team - I did not test it 

"You can enable 'annotationsEnabled' in Studio's builder settings and set the 'display-annotations' feature flag in View (though I'm fairly certain this is not available on Hololens)." 

Hi everyone,

can someone explain me, where exactly do I have to set this flag?

"...and set the 'display-annotations' feature flag in View..."

I edited the builder-settings.json and the creo illustrate annotations now show up in the vuforia studio preview but not at the published experience on my mobile phone (with vuforia view).

Greetings, Richard

Hi Roland, where can I find this flag? Thanks

Hi @aletenti ,

the "flag" / or better to say options are some variable which are not used by default but they could change the behavior of Vuforia Studio of some ways. Most  of them are temporary e.g. to activate some feature or widget in prerelease etc. This settings need to be added to the builder-setting.json in your Document/VuforiaStudio  directory /root

Example in my

"15614:64": "/thingmarks/15614-64.png",
      "15614:65": "/thingmarks/15614-65.png",
      "15614:66": "/thingmarks/15614-66.png",
      "15614:67": "/thingmarks/15614-67.png",
      "15614:68": "/thingmarks/15614-68.png",
      "15615:69": "/thingmarks/15614-69.png",
      "15615:70": "/thingmarks/15614-70.png"
    }
  },
  "enableDebugLogging": true,
  "publishPreview": true,
  "welcomeDismissed": true,
  "designTimeDropShadows": "HARD",
  "projectsListView": true,
  "annotationsEnabled": true,
  "serverMTG": true,
  "showTrackingEvents": true,
  "metadataAccessConsent": true,
  "enableModel360DetectionUI": true,
  "advancedModelTargetBeta": true,
  "enableNewModelTarget": true,
  "enableWayfinder": true
}

here are some options e.g. about the target and enable widgets are already  obsolete and will be ignored. Also when you have some option which is not valid - it will be ignoriere. I did not check if there is a message in the Studio.log - possibly there will be warning - you can check

In your case the option required is  

"annotationsEnabled": true,

-> important: when you change the builder-setting :

1. create a backup of it
  2. stop Studio
  3. save builder setting with the new setting
  4. start again  Stuido

Hi Roland, thanks.

It works perfectly in preview mode, but when I publish the experience and I see it on mobile devices it doesn't work.

How can I show them with mobile devices or Hololens?

Thanks

@aletenti , thanks for the feedback. Actually I am not sure , but I believe to remember that this was working on mobile device (at least on android) I will check this on HL2 (unfortunately first on Friday I will have access again to HL device to check) and in case that is not working I   will ask R&D. Thanks

Hello Roland, have you had the opportunity to check and/or ask R&D ?

Thanks 😊

Hi @aletenti2 ,

yes I did report this to Dev team as Jira ticket VTS-1457.  So checked now the status - answer is  something like this:

this feature was never officially documented or supported; rather, Product Team meant for a handful of customers to see it to understand why it wasn’t typically viable for AR (bad experience/legibility). 
we are not aware exactly why this would have stopped working recently, as the code is still technically there,  we do not have updated ThingView, either.

so means that this was never supported as feature. 

But on other side there is no a relevant change in the software what should lead that it should be disabled. 

I will check again if there is a way to get it working. Possibly the optimizer will remove the annotation, but possibly the configuration options is ignored. Also I am not sure if this was working on all platforms(Hololens , mobile /andoid and IOS)

Top Tags