cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

what happen this experience?

emmanuel001
11-Garnet

what happen this experience?

hello everyone, I'm trying to launch an experience with name "citropack" is a thingmark that we gave as a demo by PTC, before the 3D model was placed on the thingmark but now places it in another position, you know what happened? It is worth mentioning that it is a ptc thingmark

thingmarkk.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

realy realy thanks for all help, my 3D model does not have any sequence, I already added a 3dlabel and the same thing continues to happen, I have used different 3D models, in different formats, from different platforms but it is still happening, will you have a simple project that could matter and try it?

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

This ThingMark seems to be for the View Gallery. There is not an experience "citropack" in the gallery. What do you see when scanning the ThingMark you shared?

I can't seem to read this ThingMark from the screenshot, but based on what @tmccombie said, it's the gallery ThingMark.

So if you scan the gallery ThingMark with a mobile device, it will take you into the Gallery where you can see the PTC examples.  If you scan the gallery ThingMark with a HoloLens, then it will launch an single experience based on the Bosch CytroPac.

So if you're trying to get the CytroPac experience on a mobile device, you'll need something else.

You could try the HBR AR app as it has the CytroPack as an example, although this example was created using Vuforia Engine rather than Vuforia Studio.  You can get the HBR AR app for iOS, Android and HoloLens.

If you are trying to view this on a Hololens, the physical size of the thingmark is important. It will only appear positioned correctly if the thingmark is printed (or displayed, if you are viewing on a screen) at the expected size.

The physical size is important for mobile devices as well. Its important to track properly that the size of the tracker in Studio matches the size of the actual tracker

To some extent, that's true, especially if you are trying to match virtual geometry with physical objects. However, for purely virtual experiences on a mobile device, having a mismatch between the thingmark size in the experience and the printed thingmark will generally just result in the entire experience being scaled up or down. In fact, sometimes it's useful to use this feature to provide a "scale entire experience" feature by rescaling the virtual thingmark dynamically. To expand or "zoom" an experience, you can reduce the scale of the virtual thingmark, and the opposite as well.

But that doesn't work well with Hololens experiences, because the Hololens uses the size of the thingmark to help estimate depth, so if there is a mismatch, the experience will appear displaced in space. For example, if you define a 6" thingmark in your experience, but you print a 2" thingmark for viewing, the Hololens will assume the 2" thingmark is actually 6" across, but farther away than it really is, so the experience will appear far away as well (e.g. beneath or behind the surface of the thingmark).

thank you for your help, this is my project could indicate me step by step how to define the size so that the model is exactly behind the thingmark

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzTFa5SsLLgCS5Bq3SaXF4BM3JNPzaU4/view?usp=sharing

I think you've also posted in another thread and I just gave an answer to that here, but here's the details.

In your experience, you have a ThingMark widget and you have set the Marker Width property to 0.2 which means 20cm.:

marker_width_problems.png

So now you need to get the image file for your ThingMark that you are using for this experience and print it out at 20cm wide.  PTC has some instructions in the help about resizing the ThingMark (here) but nowadays, I just import the SVG file into MS Word and change the image width to 20cm.  You'll need to change the image anchor to make sure that it all prints and the margins of your printer don't chop it off.

The important thing is that if you are using the HoloLens, the width of the ThingMark that you scan to place the AR, needs to be exactly the same size as you have specified in the experience.

While typing this, I've just seen your video and although you don't show the process of scanning the ThingMark to place the AR, I can see that you are scanning the ThingMark from a screen, so unless it's 20cm wide on screen (measure it with a ruler) then it won't be positioned correctly.

As I said in my other reply, if you just want to show a 3D model in the real world, then it's a lot easier to use a Spatial Target.

Thanks, @AllanThompson, for a very nice summary. I would add one caveat to your final statement, though: using a spatial target is easier in many respects, but the trade-off is that it limits you to a shorter list of supported devices. If your users are likely to have older devices, especially older Android devices, it may be worth sticking with thingmark tracking.

thank you very much for the help but I do not know what happens with my experience, the measurements of my thingmark are correct, my project is fine, I publish and when deploying the model it appears in a completely different area. My thingmark measures 20 centimeters, which is what is happening. i attached a video so you have a better idea .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R0v6qEr0G4cWjiMQBNnDQtBvjiDTF550/view?usp=sharing

i don´t know what happens.

Hi Emmanuel, 

I've seen in the video, that you have bound no number to the thingmark. You should always bind the number of the printed thingmark to the virtual thingmark in your studio. Also I would recommend not moving your device too fast at the beginning; otherwise the tracking might be faulty.

ClayHelberg
17-Peridot
(To:whity)

Nice catch! I didn't notice the lack of a thingmark code. That would definitely mess things up. Also, remember to keep the focus on the thingmark after you scan it while the green line traces the thingmark border, that's how it establishes tracking on the thingmark.

hello thank you very much for the help, I still have the same problem even placing the number of the thingmark in the properties, what will be the problem?

I'm not sure. Does the number you used in the thingmark widget match the number you used on the info panel for the experience, and those numbers match the number for the printed thingmark?

yes is the same number , attatch picture vuforia003.jpegvuforia002.JPGvuforia001.JPG26039-1.png

Are you switching views with different trackers in the Hololens experience the same way you do in the mobile experience? I'm not sure how well that will work on Hololens. If that's the case, have you tried a simpler Hololens experience that only uses a thingmark tracker? (I don't have a Hololens at my location to check for myself.)

yes, I changed the thingmark, I changed the model, I changed the user, I modified the scale, sizes, I printed several thingmark and the problem keeps appearing and not only to me but to several users that I know, I can use the spatial target but that is not the case since I want to test a sequence of maintenance on the machine, a step by step

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas. I've done several Hololens experiences, and once I got the size issue figured out, I haven't had trouble with the trackers since. It's probably time to open a support ticket with PTC on this one.

One last idea: Mark up the model and click on "Apply sequence at design time". Check if the model moves and then deactivate it again. It should not move.

Also I would try to make an obvious change, like adding a text label on the thingmark. Then publish and open it in the HoloLens. Can you see the text label on the right position?

realy realy thanks for all help, my 3D model does not have any sequence, I already added a 3dlabel and the same thing continues to happen, I have used different 3D models, in different formats, from different platforms but it is still happening, will you have a simple project that could matter and try it?

Could you please update the HoloLens OS to the newest version and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

Top Tags