cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

2 Startup directories and possible conflict

STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member

2 Startup directories and possible conflict

Goodmorning everyone,
I would like to submit this problem with CREO 4.0 M010

On the same pc I have:

1) "network boot" = Creo 4.0 M010 boot icon pointing to a folder on the NAS configured as a network resource in windows, Creo license files, start directories and start subdirectories, working directories are all on the NAS and below the same network resource obviously in different folders. The network is not a splinter so file / assembly loading times are quite high.
2) "local boot" = boot icon of Creo 4.0 M010 pointing to a local folder in C: \, license file is always on NAS with path as above, sstart directories and start subdirectories in local C: \, working directory in local C: \ (actually the work dir is a Google Drive folder where to avoid space problems in the name I created a bat that creates a windows network drive to bypass the first part of the path with the spaces in the name) . I have checked that config.pro and search.pro of the "local" installation point to the right folders and no to "network" installation path.

Now the problem with the "local" installation is this:
a) opening of the xxx assembly with network cable connected > 35 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!
b) opening the same xxx assembly with network cable connected to take the license file and then disconnected 35 seconds !!!!!!!!!

what escapes me?
(always start both config as administrator on Win7)
(same "local" configuration copied on a different pc always load same assembly in 35 seconds)

thanks to those who will have time and desire for a suggestion.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi,

I would compare trail files ...

1.] Start Creo, do 35 minutes test, end Creo

2.] Start Creo, do 35 seconds test, end Creo

Open two trails files simultaneously and compare opening times related to individual components.

If it is possible you can zip both files and upload them.

Martin Hanák
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member
(To:MartinHanak)

now I cannot do immediatly the loading of the two sessions to find right trail.txt but  I briefly searched among old trial.txt

I noticed this:

- in the "35 minutes" session it still goes to look for some parts on the NAS (the one I suspected)

- so there are several seconds of "waiting" between the closing of a part and the opening of the next one that is on the network path, 2 ... 10 ...... 20 seconds

so there must be something that escapes me in the settings or that bypasses, I checked that:

- search path is unique in the "local" config

- all the paths inside the search.pro point to local folders

stupid question: some parts, even if saved and modified locally, are born as a copy of other parts from the network path, so can they keep some reference to the network path?

Hi,

do following test.

1.] look into trail file and find "problematic" part opened from NAS ... remember its name (I will use problem.prt)

2.] launch Creo

3.] File > Open > put problem.prt into File name field, click Open

4.] close Creo session

5.] open trail file and and check path to problem.prt

6.] if problem.prt is loaded from NAS then there is probably problem in search paths

Martin Hanák
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

do following test.

1.] look into trail file and find "problematic" part opened from NAS ... remember its name (I will use problem.prt)

2.] launch Creo

3.] File > Open > put problem.prt into File name field, click Open

4.] close Creo session

5.] open trail file and and check path to problem.prt

6.] if problem.prt is loaded from NAS then there is probably problem in search paths

Hi Martin, sorry for delay, I've tried what you suggested (with some different "problematic" parts, one each time)

1.] found some "problematic" parts opened from NAS (all "problematic" parts are prt with family tables i.e. screws)

2.] launched Creo

3.] File > Open > problem.prt into File name field, click Open

4.] closed Creo session

5.] opened trail file and and check path to problem.prt

results:

if net cable is connected some parts  are loaded from NAS

if net cable is NOT connected the SAME parts are loaded from local path (does this mean that the path in search .pro is correct? I've also read it carefully many times to be sure)

thank you

I think it points to a problem in ether your working directory or your search paths.  Refer to the order things are retrieved from in my post above (also detailed in this post).  Somehow, the network location is above the local location in that order. That's why it finds the network files first.

I'm wondering if the working directory is being set to the network location by your batch file.  Start a fresh session of Creo using the local icon and check to see what the working directory is once Creo loads. You can do this by selecting File > Open > Working Directory and look at the path shown in the top of the File Open dialog. Is it what you expect it to be?

If it's wrong, check your batch file.  You may need to add a change directory command at the end to set the working directory where you want before Creo is called.

If it's right, I'd look again at your search_path statements in your config.pro or search.pro files.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

@dgschaefer wrote:

I think it points to a problem in ether your working directory or your search paths.  Refer to the order things are retrieved from in my post above (also detailed in this post).  Somehow, the network location is above the local location in that order. That's why it finds the network files first.

I'm wondering if the working directory is being set to the network location by your batch file.  Start a fresh session of Creo using the local icon and check to see what the working directory is once Creo loads. You can do this by selecting File > Open > Working Directory and look at the path shown in the top of the File Open dialog. Is it what you expect it to be?

If it's wrong, check your batch file.  You may need to add a change directory command at the end to set the working directory where you want before Creo is called.

If it's right, I'd look again at your search_path statements in your config.pro or search.pro files.

Hello Doug, and sorry for my late replay with you too....hectic days before few days of closure.

attached image of my CREO start icon. File > Open > Working Directory show expected path indicated in the Config.pro (it seems to work because CREO start with some pesonalizations i.e. window size, backgroud colors...)

checked once more config.pro or search.pro files don't have any reference to any NET path

Hi Martin, sorry for delay, I've tried what you suggested (with some different "problematic" parts, one each time)

1.] found some "problematic" parts opened from NAS (all "problematic" parts are prt with family tables i.e. screws)

2.] launched Creo

4.] closed Creo session

results:

if net cable is NOT connected the SAME parts are loaded from local path (does this mean that the path in search .pro is correct? I've also read it carefully many times to be sure)

thank you

Hi,

another test procedure ...

1.] create new empty part ... my_test_part_123456.prt

2.] save this file to two locations ... NAS directory -AND- local disk directory ... use directories where some problematic family table part is located

3.] launch Creo

4.] File > Open > my_test_part_123456.prt into File name field, click Open

5.] close Creo session

6.] open trail file and and check path to my_test_part_123456.prt

7.] publish result of the test

Martin Hanák

Can you upload your config.pro files and your search.pro file ?

Martin Hanák
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member

@MartinHanak wrote:

2.] launched Creo

4.] closed Creo session

results:

thank you

Hi,

another test procedure ...

1.] create new empty part ... my_test_part_123456.prt

2.] save this file to two locations ... NAS directory -AND- local disk directory ... use directories where some problematic family table part is located

3.] launch Creo

4.] File > Open > my_test_part_123456.prt into File name field, click Open

5.] close Creo session

6.] open trail file and and check path to my_test_part_123456.prt

7.] publish result of the test

done, same result, always point to the nas path

attached requested search.pro and config.pro

done, same result, always point to the nas path

attached requested search.pro and config.pro

Hi,

config.pro contains ... search_path_file c:\Start_Creo_iSleeve\search.pro ... this is file located on local disk

search.pro contains paths beginning with W:\iSleeve\Creo\ ... these paths point to NAS (I guess).

---

If you have the same directory structure in C:\iSleeve\Creo\ ... then you have to create search.pro containing paths beginning with C:\iSleeve\Creo\

Martin Hanák
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member

Hi,

config.pro contains ... search_path_file c:\Start_Creo_iSleeve\search.pro ... this is file located on local disk

search.pro contains paths beginning with W:\iSleeve\Creo\ ... these paths point to NAS (I guess).

---

If you have the same directory structure in C:\iSleeve\Creo\ ... then you have to create search.pro containing paths beginning with C:\iSleeve\Creo\

W:\.... is a local path, it is created with a W.bat <subst W: "C:\Users\amministratore\Google Drive"> to bypass Google Drive path with space in the dir name

@STS_Labelling wrote:

Hi,

---

W:\.... is a local path, it is created with a W.bat <subst W: "C:\Users\amministratore\Google Drive"> to bypass Google Drive path with space in the dir name

Hi,

I have never used drive letter created by subst command in Creo.

Suggestion:

1.] create C:\mytest directory with full access for your user and copy directory structure from "C:\Users\amministratore\Google Drive" directory to C:\mytest directory

2.] create search.pro file containing paths beginning with C:\mytest\

3.] test Creo behaviour

Martin Hanák
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member

Hi,

I have never used drive letter created by subst command in Creo.

Suggestion:

1.] create C:\mytest directory with full access for your user and copy directory structure from "C:\Users\amministratore\Google Drive" directory to C:\mytest directory

2.] create search.pro file containing paths beginning with C:\mytest\

3.] test Creo behaviour

same result, always point to the net path.

I noticed this other thing looking at the trail.txt file ("35 minutes" verison), some of teh problematic part are load from net path but in subdir not included into the search.pro (where prt are wrongly saved)

drive letter created by subst command usually works, if net cable is disconnected everything works 100%

Hi,

I give up 😞

Unfortunatelly I do not have any idea what is going on on your site.

Good luck.

Martin Hanák
STS_Labelling
5-Regular Member

@MartinHanak wrote:

Hi,

I give up 😞

Unfortunatelly I do not have any idea what is going on on your site.

Good luck.

don't worry, you already spent much time for me. I think that I cannot do any more testing during the next days due to job load before closure. I'll resume the problem next year.

Thank you Martin
Regrads Matteo

@STS_Labelling wrote:

now I cannot do immediatly the loading of the two sessions to find right trail.txt but  I briefly searched among old trial.txt

I noticed this:

- in the "35 minutes" session it still goes to look for some parts on the NAS (the one I suspected)

- so there are several seconds of "waiting" between the closing of a part and the opening of the next one that is on the network path, 2 ... 10 ...... 20 seconds

so there must be something that escapes me in the settings or that bypasses, I checked that:

- search path is unique in the "local" config

- all the paths inside the search.pro point to local folders

stupid question: some parts, even if saved and modified locally, are born as a copy of other parts from the network path, so can they keep some reference to the network path?

Outside of a PDM environment, Creo has no way of tracking where to retrieve files.  It uses the following short list to determine where to look for files needed to open an assy or drawing:

1. In session - Is the object already in memory?
  2. The parent's directory - Is the object in the directory the parent object (assy or drawing) came from?  THis assumes that it is different from the working directory.
  3. The working directory - Is the object in the current working directory?
  4. Search paths - All defined search paths in the config.pro or search.pro, in order.

Additionally, under certain circumstances Creo will add folders to a sessions search path. For example, if you open an assy and several files are not found.  If you right click on one and select "Retrieve missing component" and browse to another folder to retrieve it, Creo will also search that folder for the others that are missing.  I believe that it will continue to look in that folder for the duration of that session.

Lastly, if you are using a batch file to launch Creo, the directory active in your batch file when Creo is launched becomes your start in directory, regardless of what the start in field in the icon says.  Is it possible that the working directory is being changed during your launch script?  Can you post the contents of your batch file?  Use the code button to avoid the community software trying to interpret your code.

My guess is there's something in your config files that point to the network that you've missed.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags