cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

64 bit OS, which one and are there any problems I should look about for.

lholmberg
4-Participant

64 bit OS, which one and are there any problems I should look about for.

Hi:

The time has come and I finally want to start moving people in the company I work for to a 64 bit OS so we can start ordering workstations with more than 4GB of Ram in them. Currently I am looking at a dell workstation with the following specs.:

Dell Precision T3500

OS - XP 64 and Vista 64

Processor - Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3520 2.66GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s

Memory - 6GB, 1066MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, NECC (6 DIMMS)

Graphics 1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 3800

Hard Drive 80GB SATA, 10K RPM Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst Cache™

No Floppy Drive

DVD and Read-Write Devices 16X DVD+/-RW

I have read in the past of the problems people had using Vista and XP 64 with ProE, have these issues finally been fixed? Are there pitfalls over going with one over the other? Preferably I would not like to go to Vista 64 but there have been driver issues in the past with XP 64 though allot of those have been fixed now right?

Thanks.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
lholmberg
4-Participant
(To:lholmberg)

When people say they are having problem with print drivers is that for drivers where you have printers directly connected to the computers or networked ones? The only printers that we use here are networked HP 1050 Plotter and a HP 5100 DTN laser printer.

Hi Logan,

I just ordered a very similar configuration of the Dell Precision T3500 and a couple of comments with my order:

1. Windows XP Pro is no longer sold as the OEM software, so you'll need to buy that separately. We had to purchase Windows Vista Open License with rights to downgrade to Windows XP Pro (32-bit or 64-bit). I also purchased the software assurance which would allow me to upgrade to Windows 7 when it's available (supposedly Fall 2009). We too are trying to avoid a migration to Windows Vista. To save money, I ordered the system with Red Hat Linux since I purchased the Windows OS through Open License.

2. Memory. FYI, it was cheaper for us to purchase the RAM separately from Dell accessories and install ourselves, than have it built into the system. So I configured the system with 1GB, then through Dell accessories, I purchased 3x 2GB modules. This leaves 3 available slots for future upgrades.

I haven't had a chance to power up the system yet (too busy with project work), but hopefully will have something to report back before the end of the month.

Thanks,

.willy.

In Reply to logan holmberg:

Hi:

The time has come and I finally want to start moving people in the company I work for to a 64 bit OS so we can start ordering workstations with more than 4GB of Ram in them. Currently I am looking at a dell workstation with the following specs.:

Dell Precision T3500

OS - XP 64 and Vista 64

Processor - Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3520 2.66GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s

Memory - 6GB, 1066MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, NECC (6 DIMMS)

Graphics 1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 3800

Hard Drive 80GB SATA, 10K RPM Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst Cache™

No Floppy Drive

DVD and Read-Write Devices 16X DVD+/-RW

I have read in the past of the problems people had using Vista and XP 64 with ProE, have these issues finally been fixed? Are there pitfalls over going with one over the other? Preferably I would not like to go to Vista 64 but there have been driver issues in the past with XP 64 though allot of those have been fixed now right?

Thanks.

Hello,

we have 64 bit HP xw8600 with WinXP 64. Workstation is used mainly for
FEA and some Pro/E work. For 6 month no issues.

Regards

Przemek

Top Tags