cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Admin privileges required?

jstone-3
4-Participant

Admin privileges required?

Do CREO and Windchill users require admin privileges on their computers? There's talk here of removing that privilege from engineers. Not sure if that'll have an impact on their ability to work?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jstone-3)

No admin privileges at the OS required.

It will remove their ability to install software updates on the fly. I cannot update Adobe Flash and IT doesn't have time, yet I was able to update IE (and cause issues that took IT 2 months to fix).

We have Creo on a server, so 1 install and all users have the latest build.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

No admin privileges at the OS required.

It will remove their ability to install software updates on the fly. I cannot update Adobe Flash and IT doesn't have time, yet I was able to update IE (and cause issues that took IT 2 months to fix).

We have Creo on a server, so 1 install and all users have the latest build.

gfl
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member

Some Creo start scripts require write access to the ..../Common Files/text directory for config.pro, config.sup and creo_parametric_admin_customization.ui. That can be an issue without proper rights.

davehaigh
11-Garnet
(To:gfl)

Our users don't have admin rights and my startup scripts replace those files with no problem. I think where the issue you observed comes from, is not write access to the location, but permissions on the file. The files are likely read only. the startup script needs to change that before you can replace the file. Like this:

attrib -R "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\%CREOVERSION%\text\config.sup"

echo y|copy "L:\configs\sup\wci-config.sup" "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\%CREOVERSION%\text\config.sup"

attrib +R "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\%CREOVERSION%\text\config.sup"

-R removed read only, +R applies read only.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:davehaigh)

Giving users access to config.sup is like letting the fox guard the chicken coup.

Why do chicken coups have 2 doors? Because if they had 4 doors, they would be chicken sedans.

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: PTC Control Center and Creo+ Portal

Top Tags