cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Annotation table: cosmetic threads, external

INENG
6-Contributor

Annotation table: cosmetic threads, external

Is there a .hol file, or something similar, that is used to build out external thread annotations built using the cosmetic thread feature?  The support page from PTC details how internal thread annotations are classified, but not external:  

http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_pma/usascii/index.html#page/part_modeling%2Fpart_modeling%2Fpart_five_sub%2FCosmetic_Thread_Parameters.html%23

Example: when I create a UNC external feature, say 3/4-10, the annotation generated shows 0.750-10.000.  This is simple to edit for hole features and internal cosmetic threads.  But for external...  ???

3 REPLIES 3
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:INENG)

I believe the cosmetic thread feature uses the exact same .hol files as the hole feature but the callout section driving the hole notes for the hole feature is not used by the cosmetic thread feature.  Let me do some testing and try to confirm...

INENG
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

I believe the internal threads do, but I'm not sure about external.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:INENG)

I can definitely confirm that the same .hol files are used by both the hole feature and the cosmetic thread feature.  Unfortunately the cosmetic thread feature only references a very small subset of the .hol file data with no way to customize or refer to additional .hol file parameters.  The existing annotation is pretty useless with no good 'parametric' solution for improving it.  Looks like we're at the mercy of PTC.  Maybe someday they will improve it.

Top Tags