cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Anyone running a good Virtual Desktop setup?

svillafuerte
6-Contributor

Anyone running a good Virtual Desktop setup?

I am looking into the virtual desktop world and have done a couple of POC's (Proof of Concepts) with vendors but have not come up with something that looks as smooth as our 'regular' desktops. I know I have seen it work, and have talked to people (not vendors but actual companies running this way) at the conference that say they are running this way and would never go back to 'regular' desktops, so I (and the vendors) know we must be missing something because there are happy people working this way today. I assume for sure we need the Nvidia Grid M6 cards, and we are testing using these already. So, I am looking for any details on the hardware companies are running with multiple Creo users. We also have a few heavy Ansys users but this uses ram more than video (although this will most likely affect Creo if they are running an analysis while we are trying to spin/pan/zoom/etc. models) so I feel I can throw ram at a system all day and not too worried about this one. But, for Creo, Adobe Cloud, SolidWorks Composer, and a few other small graphics programs, I will need a setup that will perform, at minimum, the same as our current 'regular' desktops. But I am obviously looking for even better performance in the end. Any current working setups out there that are willing to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane V.

1 REPLY 1

Hey Shane,

We have been using Virtual Desktops for about 1 1/2 years here, but still can't get Creo to run like a "regular" desktop.  We have worked with NVidia, VMware and several different IT partners without success.  I too would like to hear from someone who has successfully implemented this and visit them to talk to their users.  Our casual users have no problems, but when it comes to our engineering Creo and analysis users, light-years behind where current desktop performance is, and we aren't using anything special.  (BOXX Tech - liquid-cooled overclocked i7 CPU, 16GB RAM with PCIe SSD and 4 GB NVidia cards... Awesome computers by the way.)  At this point I have not witnessed any Engineering-capable VD environments, but sure would like to see one because I too would never go back to a regular desktop if so.  So while the rest of our company is Virtual, our engineering and programming computers remain client-desktop.   

Top Tags