cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Appearance library - automatic bump, color texture and decal "load"

mbonka
15-Moonstone

Appearance library - automatic bump, color texture and decal "load"

Hello all,

this question is about automatic "load" of bump, texture and decal when appearance is applied. l made a order in my appearances library and AFTERWARDS l discovered that, there is some system in appearances and relevant bump, color texture and decals. Because my stopped work after renaming and global_appearance_file config change.

Bump_automatic_load.jpg

QUESTION: What system does it wotk?

IDEA 1: "File name system"

- files with little different names --- all saved in one directory (global_appearance_file)

- color name - adv_steel_galvanized

- bump name - adv_steel_galvanized_bump

- texture name - adv_steel_galvanized_texture

- decal_name - adv_steel_galvanized_decal

IDEA 2: "Hard save when it´s done"

- create an appearance and apply bump, texture or decal.

- than save it (don´t care about files name ---> appearnce adv_steel_galvanized include a bumb with file name scratch)

IDEA 3: "Other solution"

- do you have any other praxis or idea ?

I hope here is many render profi guys and somebody can help.

This question is targeted to Vladimir Palfy a big fan of renders and unofficial PTC community render guru... best regards

Thanks for any ideas

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:mbonka)

The bump and texture work in pairs. The decal is somewhat of a stand alone.

Otherwise, yes, managing larger libraries is never fun when it comes to naming. You end up with 10 types of "steel" and non of the definitions in a filename is of any real help. In my catalog, they might as well be STEEL01 through STEEL10. But you do need to keep the pair organized so you know which is which.

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks Antonius,

l think IDEA1 is the best way. And numbering (01,02...09,10...) is also a basic for making library. Could you give me an example how do you order appearances and relevant bump?

- steel_01 + steel_01_bump OR steel_01 + steel_01bump (NOTE: difference is in "_" before the word bump)

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:mbonka)

I am all for delimiters. I would use the underscore extensively

mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Me too...

Top Tags