cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Assembly Size

ClaudioStammitt
1-Newbie

Assembly Size

Greetings, I was wondering what is an average size of assemblies managed by you in pro/e. Recently we've been through an evaluation process, and I was told that one of my assemblies (which I shared for a review from our PTC local support) is too large, having too many parts, therefore requiring high computer specs and hardware resources, and therefore a possible reason for premature exit. What frightens me is that such assembly is a medium size one, there are not all parts and components of our full BOM in it, and so this assembly has around 1700 parts. There are some assemblies close to 3500 parts My intention is to determine whether our requirements and design intentions are aligned to our computer capabilities. Specially because our last computers were bought in accordance to ptc recommendation, but seems to be that recommendation do not take under consideration what’s our average assembly size. And as further suggestion from ptc we are about to test our system in windows XP 64, but totally isolated from a LAN nor any other software but Pro/E. In order to take full advantage of the 16 GB RAM So, guys may you please feed up some info about this issue (assembly size and RAM), which has come to be a milestone for further progress in our company. Thanks in advance
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
10 REPLIES 10

Claudio Managing large assemblies with higher PC specs. (RAM, CPU, Bandwidth) etc. is in my opinion a loosing battle. I suggest you change your focus to the methods you have in Pro/Engineer to minimize your hardware requirements. There should be no reason for you to have all your parts available in master rep. at all times. If you add enough RAM to open your model you still have to struggle with regeneration time and moving large amount of data over your LAN/WAN. In my company we had the same problems earlier but since we started focusing on simplified reps. and envelope parts there is no limit to the assembly size we can manage.

Claudio Hugo is right, we have similar master model sized assemblies but never consider opening a top level model in master rep. Large assembly management is the way forward. Simplified Reps, Family tables, substitute components etc. Would definately recommend looking for some training in these. No matter what spec PC you have you will run up to the limitations of your OS, which if its Windows 32bit is 1.7GB in session at any one time. Unless you want to upgrade all your business software (and that of your customers) to 64bit, then best off optimizing what you have.

Greetings, I do agree with your suggestions and we use them a lot, both simplified reps and family table (And we've had some training courses so far too, lol). But at the moment we need to plot our master drawing which needs to represent the whole assemly, including bolts bom, comes the issue at hand. At this point we really require to load the full assembly, because it is added as a model in the drawing sheet, therefore Pro/E needs to fully upload it (master rep)... I know simp reps are an easy and friendly way to go thorough with this, but what happens when you really need to work with the full assembly?? Is this an uncommon need? or what else can be done? It is sad to see pro/e can't handle this thanks for your reply

Might not help massively, but may at bring in session size down a little. Use the geometry reps of the assemblies and do not bring the master reps in to session. Normally this is bad for assemblies as you then can't create any dimension lines or Bom balloons, but if you add the config option of allow_refs_to_geom_reps_in_drws yes this allows you to use them as standard assemblies. As they are geometry reps you get the big added time saving bonus of them no longer regenerating. Back to original point if you are insistent on using the fully detailed models you will definately need to go 64bit windows, but remember you will never be able to reopen these files back on your 32bit stations. We have had experiments with 32bit Pro/E on 64bit windows stations, performance is still as slow however the benefit is purely in the memory ceiling. Not sure if 64bit version of PRo/E would give any other benefits. Our standard workstation specs are the dual core DELL 390's with around 4GB ram, and our heavy duty ones for CAE work and Large assembly construction are the twin quad core DELL 690's with 8GB Ram.

Missed a bit... Top level assembly work tends to just be assembling at default large system assemblies. You can assemble them by default without seeing the end result easy enough, then use a viewing package such as product view if you really want to see the top level. You only need to open the file in Pro/E if you want to modify it. Distinguish in your business the difference between viewing and editing, and use the software appropriatte for each.

Claudio I dont agree with your statement that pro/e can't handle this. I suggest you look into using envelopes in combination with simp. reps. Opening, printing and BOM...smooth sailing Hugo

Hello there Peter, thanks for the tips. May you please tell me what do you mean by heavy duty CAE work large assembly? (meaning, number of parts and file size, that's really an important information I need), Anyway we have two Workstation HP6600W with 2 twin quad core Xeon and 16GB RAM, and to be honest I don't know weather we manage is consider large assemblies or not. I really need a comparison point of view. I must apologize if I meant Pro/E could not handle this. But when you are originally sold a software and there was no guidance nor training by the vendor about its limitations, meaning an appropriate way to model from the beginning, then comes this consequence, where apparently our only solution is to Re-arrange all our assemblies according to simp and geom reps. But what happens when you already have about 200 of this large assemblies and all of them managed by pro/program and excel?. This is not a cryout, but I'm looking through for all available option before presenting this as ultimate solution, given the extensive amount of time that this will require. Because it means re-editing all those drawing in order to make full use of the reps, purging the drawing files, etc. This is the real core to our problem, ok what you suggest, but, is that the only way to fix what is already done? Our local vendors and advisor had seen and examined our designing method extensively, and to be honest we’ve never being told that it may end in such an awkward situation… I just don’t see logical to step back and re-do all what is already done, even after you buy two 12000$ computers each by the blind recommendation from PTC and our vendor that it would let pro/e handle all what you do. Thanks again for your replies, but it’s a little bit annoying that after almost 4 years, we still can’t get Pro/E to work properly.

Claudio, Another thing that you might want to try is to use the 'Enable On Demand Updating' when opening a rep. This check box appears when you open a rep & by default it is unchecked. With this option you can bring a part/sub- assembly in session 'on demand' just by activating it or by clicking on it. What I usually do is open the Top level assembly in graphics rep with 'Enable On Demand Updating'. Then open the part/sub- assembly that I want to modify. Modify it, save it and then go back to top level assembly just to make sure that the changes are updated in the top level too. Then close the part/sub- assembly that was opened earlier. Then use Erase not displayed to erase the part/sub- assembly from session. This generally keeps the memory usage low.. Hope this helps.. Rameet

Claudio, You can set the level of 'On demand' by #Tools >> Assembly settings >> On Demand. You can go through the Advanced Assembly Help on 'Enable on demand updating' to get more info.. Rameet

Claudio If you dont want to change the way you are using Pro/Engineer or update your existing models with large assembly management methods its actually down to simple mathematics. Just multiply the number of unique parts you have in your assembly with the average size of each part. This will give you an idea on the amount of RAM required to open the model. If the model size extends the limitation of the 32bit operating system you have to upgrade your computers to 64bit OS with more RAM. One tip to squeese more RAM from a 32bit windows system is to set the 3GB swich in your boot.ini.
Top Tags