cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Best Practice to manage "bunches" of Creo users and licenses?

mdebower
18-Opal

Best Practice to manage "bunches" of Creo users and licenses?

What are your best practices in managing "bunches" of Creo licenses and users?

Here is my particular situation:

Bunch A: High end users that I want using Enterprise SE licenses then roll over to using Creo Essentials.

Bunch B: Low end users that I want using Creo Essentials first then roll over to using Enterprise SE.

My main concern is creating an artificial shortage for one group by not allowing them to roll over to the second choice.  We have enough licenses total,  but not if I start reserving licenses for one bunch or the other.

I would like to use groups in the License options file,  but it isn't clear on how to set this up, or if it is even possible....   OR do I have to set the usage order in the Command Creation on the client machines?

-marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think Martin's suggestion is best. But I think perhaps you can configure the clients in a simpler way.

On you machine set up however many license configs you need for the startup options you may have. Make Enterprise SE the primary and Creo Essentials the secondary. Grab all the .psf & .bat files it creates and move them to a directory on your server called Enterprise_primary

Now reconfigure the licesne and make Creo Essentials primary and Enterprise SE secondary for all the configuration. Grab all the .psf & .bat files it creates and move them to a directory on your server called Essentials_primary.

I have a script on my server called update-license-files-client.bat it has this single line in it. It forces an over write of any existing files.

echo d|xcopy "\\<serverName>\<shareName>\scripts\license\parametric*"    "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin\." /y /r /s

I send the users an email with the unc link to the bat file whenever I have to change something about the license configs. like this:

Please run this script to update your license configuration.\\<serverName>\<shareName>\scripts\update-license-files-client.bat

In your case you'll need two scripts. update-license-enterprise.bat & update-license-essentials.bat. Obviously change the servername, paths and filenames to match your setup. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hi,

I think the simpliest solution is your "to set the usage order in the Command Creation on the client machines".

This means:

• parametric.psf file for high end users contains ... ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_Enterprise_SE  PROE_Creo_Essentials ()
  • parametric.psf file for low end users contains ... ENV=CREOPMA_FEATURE_NAME=PROE_Creo_Essentials  PROE_Enterprise_SE ()

Unfortunately this solution is not working correctly, if you need to put license codes inside brackets ().

MH

Martin Hanák

Marc,

take a look at the presentation "An Admins Guide to License Management" by David Haigh

You can find it here in the community

Marco

Marco,

Thanks for the reminder, I have looked at it, and it is very useful.   I have even contacted David and asked him a question or two as well, but needed some additional clarity.

-marc

I think Martin's suggestion is best. But I think perhaps you can configure the clients in a simpler way.

On you machine set up however many license configs you need for the startup options you may have. Make Enterprise SE the primary and Creo Essentials the secondary. Grab all the .psf & .bat files it creates and move them to a directory on your server called Enterprise_primary

Now reconfigure the licesne and make Creo Essentials primary and Enterprise SE secondary for all the configuration. Grab all the .psf & .bat files it creates and move them to a directory on your server called Essentials_primary.

I have a script on my server called update-license-files-client.bat it has this single line in it. It forces an over write of any existing files.

echo d|xcopy "\\<serverName>\<shareName>\scripts\license\parametric*"    "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin\." /y /r /s

I send the users an email with the unc link to the bat file whenever I have to change something about the license configs. like this:

Please run this script to update your license configuration.\\<serverName>\<shareName>\scripts\update-license-files-client.bat

In your case you'll need two scripts. update-license-enterprise.bat & update-license-essentials.bat. Obviously change the servername, paths and filenames to match your setup. 

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:Marco_Tosin)

I would love to get a look at that "An Admins Guide to License Management" document.  It isn't searchable here or in the PTC support site. Can someone post it?  Thanks.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Invisigoth)

Technically it's buried over here:  http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/sd/sid=2464&type=0  See attached .zip file.

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

Thank you!  I registered for that site excited to find another population of knowledgeable PTC product people participating in forums.  Alas, I see that the forums that existed there were migrated to this site.  At least I now have a copy of the admin's guide to licensing, which is quite excellent and I'm only on page 60 of the .ppt file.

That is still a sore point for some of us long time users of the mail exploder. I used that much more than I use this because it was simpler to reply to someone without having to log into a web site and contend with a web application to try and format things the way you want them displayed.

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:davehaigh)

I totally understand.  I still miss USENET

In the zip file Tom posted,

An Admins guide to license managment-attendee.pdf contains speaker notes on each slide. move your mouse over the icon in the upper left corner to see the notes. They contain everything I intended to say for each slide.

An Admins guide to license managment-presentation.pptx This is the powerpoint I used for the presentation. There are more slides in certain portions to make some of the concepts a bit clearer. Again the speaker notes section contains everything I intended to say on that slide.

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:davehaigh)

Thanks David!

Top Tags