cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

CREO 4.0 M020 to be released in June 2017..soo late

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine

16 REPLIES 16
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:rohit_rajan)

That is 3 months after the release of M010.  2 to 3 months between releases is pretty typical.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

WHY do you feel a 3 month maintenance release schedule is too long, making it late?

While there are many companies (system admins) who do not install initial releases of PTC products (me being one) It does take PTC a little bit of time to get feedback and serious issues fixed for a new maintenance release. From initial F000 code release to M040/M050 within 1 year would be some quick turn around on bug fixes. I am perfectly happy waiting 9 months or more before installing a new version into production.

It's true that it's normal having a 3 month release schedule for maintenance releases. I suspect that Rohit hoped that the M020 would be quicker as there are two of the significant core upgrades for Creo 4.0, 3D-sweep and Mirror Overhaul.

It's mixed emotions for me. Creo 4.0 is a a really nice upgrade with quite a significant overhaul of the workflow interface. However, it took 2,5 year between Creo 3.0 and 4.0, longest ever, and then they still had to pull back two of the major core upgrades for the F000 release. On top of that there were discussions earlier that the Symbols in Detail was in the plan to be updated for 4.0 but that was also pulled back and is now planned for 5.0.

ha ha...Magnus you did understand what i was trying to say!

With solidworks already having many of the upgrades we are seeing in CREO 4.0..3D sweep missing in the F000 release was a big disappointment..

and off course the  horrible CTRL click for dimensioning  in CREO 3.0 wont be fixed until CREO 5.0

StephenW
23-Emerald II

You think they will "fix" it in Creo 5...FANTASIES!!

Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:BenLoosli)

Ben Loosli wrote:

WHY do you feel a 3 month maintenance release schedule is too long, making it late?

Because typically a new release has more bugs then a more mature release, so in theory the updates should come out sooner in the beginning of the release and later (more time between) in the release.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Inoram)

3 months may seem long, but take into consideration what all has to go into a maintenance release.

1) Customers have to install the code

2) Customers have to find the problem

3) Customer works with PTC to identify the problem as a bug

4) PTC has to assign a software developer to investigate why this bug is in the code

5) Software developer has to check for dependent code

6) Software developer submits proposed solution to group leader

7) Group leader authorizes a new build to internally test the fix

😎 Tested fix is submitted to management with reports of code error severity

9) Management agrees to put fix into the next maintenance release

10) Next MR is compiled and internally tested

11) The MR is approved for release.

Now multiply this by about 100 'undocumented features' that are existent in any release of software code and the chance that it may be caught in time to make the next MR.

PTC quality is bad enough, but getting better, that you have to be crazy to put a F000 release of Creo into production. And that compounds the problem because a F000 release has a limited number of users using the code to find bugs.

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

And don't forget all the bugs PTC puts IN  each of the new builds.  🙂

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:STEVEG)

Those aren't bugs, they are undocumented anti-features!

STEVEG
21-Topaz I

Awesome.  My new favorite saying.

...and the bugs they decide they don't want to fix are (undocumented) but still 'intended design functionality'.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

Yep.  Normally between 2 and 3 months between releases.

Give me the Creo 4.0 M020

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:lphan)

And here's the new one:

Pic_1.png

So Creo 4.0 M020 is out right..great!

New dates:

Pic_2.png

Top Tags