cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can Creo 4.0 save parts, assemblies and drawings that can be opened in Creo 3.0?

NormanHadley
6-Contributor

Can Creo 4.0 save parts, assemblies and drawings that can be opened in Creo 3.0?

Sorry if this question has been answered already - I can't find a relevant thread. There's an earlier thread advising users saving from 3.0 to open in 2.0 that they could back-transfer the readnewermodels.dll file. I tried that but it seemed to make no difference on my setup - the Creo 3.0 M140 box wouldn't touch any files saved from Creo 4.0 M030.

Does anyone know of a more elegant way of making backward compatibility happen? Or, failing that, an inelegant method that works would be good too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

you are right, only parts and assemblies can be opened.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Readnewermodels.dll or GCRI is version dependent. You will need the version for Creo 3 that reads Creo 4 files.

However, PTC may not have one out yet and the web page for the download comes back with a 404 error, page not found.

Hi,

I hope that Readnewermodels.dll is available in Creo 4.0 installation. It can be copied to Creo 3.0 installation. This step enables Creo 3.0 to open Creo 4.0 models.

Martin Hanák

Hi Martin. It should work in theory but not, alas, for me. I wonder if anyone else has had more success.

Hi,

on my computer readnewermodels.dll is located in E:\PTC\Creo4_M030\Creo 4.0\M030\Common Files\x86e_win64\gcri directory

I copied the file into E:\PTC\Creo3_M140\Creo 3.0\M140\Common Files\x86e_win64\obj directory as described in https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article?n=CS34964

I started Creo3 M140 and opened Creo 4.0 part successfully

Martin Hanák

Brilliant, thanks Martin. I had been pasting the dll into the ../x86e_win64/gcri of the Creo 3.0 installation as per my link upthread. However your method of putting it in ../x86e_win64/obj works much better. I can now read Creo 4.0 parts and assemblies. Not drawings but I don't think that's possible at all, right?

Hi,

you are right, only parts and assemblies can be opened.

Martin Hanák

Cheers Martin, that's a really satifying outcome. We can send drawings as PDF anyway.

Hi Ben. Yes, I wondered about that. The cut of readnewermodels.dll I transfered from the Creo 4.0 folder is datestamped  26th July 2017 with a size of 33,612,800 bytes but I have no way of knowing which earlier version it is tailored for. 

Top Tags