cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Change Cache path

MS_Santos
13-Aquamarine

Change Cache path

Good morning , I wonder if you have how to change the path where and saved the Creo Cache (c:UsersrgiomoAppDataRoamingPTCProENGINEERWildfire.wf.cache2008) , today this within the C: would have how to switch to another drive as 😧 more when opening more than one workspace without losing anything

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MS_Santos)

A VPN connection is really no different than just plugging a network cable from your computer into their network (virtually).  Creo still runs locally on your computer (unless you are using some kind of remote desktop software to remotely view a different computer on their network.)

While it is technically possible to configure the Windchill cache to be located on their remote file server, I wouldn't recommend it for performance reasons.  You're going to run into problems anytime the VPN connection has a hiccup and Creo is running.

The 'Start In' location has no impact on the Windchill cache location.  They are two completely different things.

If you have multiple customers and you need to connect to multiple different Windchill systems, it is possible to configure Creo to use a different cache location for each one.  The easiest way to do that is probably to just duplicate the .psf file and then put the environment variable for the cache at the bottom of each one.  When you start Creo you will be presented with a list of options to choose from - one for each .psf file.  Just pick the one you want to start.

TomU_0-1657133478369.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV

Cache location can be set with the PTC_WF_ROOT environment variable.

For example:  PTC_WF_ROOT=C:\ptc\%USERNAME%\WC12_CP9_WGM

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs18736

https://www.ptc.com/en/support/article/cs45093

MS_Santos
13-Aquamarine
(To:TomU)

Would you have any video to show? And how do I do this .BAT load along with system ?

MS_Santos
13-Aquamarine

I'm using via VPN will it functional of the ?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I am not totally clear on what exactly you are trying to accomplish?  If you want to run multiple sessions of Creo Parametric simultaneously, then it is possible to configure multiple cache locations so the different sessions don't step on each other.  Is that what you are wanting to do?

MS_Santos
13-Aquamarine

I'll try to explain little better today I do a job for client and use the VPN to connect and do the jobs, I create a shortcut from parametric.exe and then point Start in: to client folder path that gets inside the C:PTCclient name.
Comes to ask has to do this configuration not being local use within the company?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

A VPN connection is really no different than just plugging a network cable from your computer into their network (virtually).  Creo still runs locally on your computer (unless you are using some kind of remote desktop software to remotely view a different computer on their network.)

While it is technically possible to configure the Windchill cache to be located on their remote file server, I wouldn't recommend it for performance reasons.  You're going to run into problems anytime the VPN connection has a hiccup and Creo is running.

The 'Start In' location has no impact on the Windchill cache location.  They are two completely different things.

If you have multiple customers and you need to connect to multiple different Windchill systems, it is possible to configure Creo to use a different cache location for each one.  The easiest way to do that is probably to just duplicate the .psf file and then put the environment variable for the cache at the bottom of each one.  When you start Creo you will be presented with a list of options to choose from - one for each .psf file.  Just pick the one you want to start.

TomU_0-1657133478369.png

Top Tags