cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Change default name new part or assembly

Joey_BMH
6-Contributor

Change default name new part or assembly

Hi,

I would like to change the default part and assembly name from PRT0001 or ASM0001 to let's say the name of the assembly it's in with "_1" at the end. Is it possible? A bit like the element_name.txt for AFX beams.

Thanks,

Joey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Joey_BMH)

I think that is hard-coded into Creo with no user option to change. Even in a Windchill driven settting, we still get the prt00001 as the default name.

It would take some custom code to populate the name field with the name of the assembly it is going into and in our case that is very seldom done. We usually model the components first and then create the assembly, so the system has no idea what assembly the model is going into. How do you account for a component part that is used in many assemblies with that naming convention?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Joey_BMH)

I think that is hard-coded into Creo with no user option to change. Even in a Windchill driven settting, we still get the prt00001 as the default name.

It would take some custom code to populate the name field with the name of the assembly it is going into and in our case that is very seldom done. We usually model the components first and then create the assembly, so the system has no idea what assembly the model is going into. How do you account for a component part that is used in many assemblies with that naming convention?

Joey_BMH
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

In our company, we usually start with a "product" assembly, then create a skeleton of the product and then create the different parts of the product. We already have a plentiful library of "standard" parts (named differently from the "product" assemblies) used throughout different products. We create far more product related parts then "standard" parts. Of course I would still like the option to change the default name, but I would like that default name to be related to the top assembly if there's one.

It's not a big problem, I just wanted to check if there was an easy way of doing so. 

Top Tags