cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Change working directory

MaikTheBike
15-Moonstone

Change working directory

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1. Lets assume that I start Creo and open one of my projects. I forget to choose a working directory and create new files in this project. The new files aren't created in my project-folder, but in the default working-directory.

Thats not very nice. My default working directory is already very messy and there are files that belong to a lot of projects.

What can I do to solve this problem ? Maybe it is possible to create new parts/assemblys in the folder of the current project ?

2. I want to change the default-working directory. Normally you would rightclick on the Icon on the desktop and change the "Start In"-option. The problem is that we start our Creo using the "profiPlusStart"-Icon and I can't change the "start In"-Folder.

Thanks,

Maik

4 REPLIES 4

@MaikTheBike wrote:

Hi,

I have 2 questions:

1. Lets assume that I start Creo and open one of my projects. I forget to choose a working directory and create new files in this project. The new files aren't created in my project-folder, but in the default working-directory.

Thats not very nice. My default working directory is already very messy and there are files that belong to a lot of projects.

What can I do to solve this problem ? Maybe it is possible to create new parts/assemblys in the folder of the current project ?

2. I want to change the default-working directory. Normally you would rightclick on the Icon on the desktop and change the "Start In"-option. The problem is that we start our Creo using the "profiPlusStart"-Icon and I can't change the "start In"-Folder.

Thanks,

Maik

Hi,

when saving data on disk I suggest you to add following option into config.pro file

file_open_default_folder working_directory

If you forget to change working directory then you can move Creo files into the right directory in Windows Explorer.

If you need to split project files into several directories then you have to set search_path options in config.pro file.

Martin Hanák

@MaikTheBike 

Along with options suggested by @MartinHanak, you can configure to start Creo using trail file which will force Creo to start and prompt to set working directory. 

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MaikTheBike)

NEVER change the start-in folder just to change the default working directory!

There may be other files in your start-in folder that are not in some other working directory.

Use the option Martin listed.

Make it a habit that the FIRST thing you do is go to File - Manage Session and set your working directory.

If you file parts in the wrong folder, move them to their proper folder.

Use a search.pro file for search paths.

Use a PDM system and most of these issues resolve themselves as the PDM system tracks your files. You do still need to check the files into their proper location. (12 years on Windchill here and my users still can't get this right!)

Completely agree with the philosophy Ben gives. First thing, anytime I start up Creo, is to change my directory to the location of the project I'm going to be working on. It's built into my workflow automatically.

Top Tags