cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Changed config ‘save_file_iterations” to “no” but still saves multiple files.

DM_10229455
2-Guest

Changed config ‘save_file_iterations” to “no” but still saves multiple files.

Wanted to turn off the save_file_iterations feature and so I followed the recommended steps by going into the configuration editor and changing it no. Now when I open a creo file and check the configuration editor, it still says the save file iterations is turned off but when I save, it continues to save multiple files. It’s as if it’s not listening to it’s on configuration or something is overriding it… 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:DM_10229455)

This is from the PTC Creo help files:

Setting the value of the save_file_iterations configuration option to no saves the files as follows:
A new file is saved without a version extension.
An existing file with a version extension is saved with a version extension.
An existing file without a version extension is saved without a version extension.

If your existing files have the iteration extension, they will continue to have the iteration extension.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

There are 4 config files that Creo can load when started.

Last file opened wins unless the config option has been set in the config.sup file.

Open Creo and then look at the configuration options. the list will be in last loaded on top. Check all 4 files to see if this option has been set in another file, or your file is not being loaded.

Yea so i just checked all of them and they all say that it is set to no. I even went into the config.pro file and changed the text to include "save_file_iterations no". Still doesn't seem to work. I don't know where it can be pulling this default setting from...

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Double check your config settings by going to FILE - OPTIONS - CONFIGURATION EDITOR.

Select the drop down arrow on the list and select "current session"

Find the option and make sure it is set as you want. If it is not, then you may have more than one setting in your config files.

You can also review all your config files using the same drop down arrow!

StephenWilliams_0-1649338417547.png

Yea so i just checked all of them and they all say that it is set to no. I even went into the config.pro file and changed the text to include "save_file_iterations no". Still doesn't seem to work. I don't know where it can be pulling this default setting from...

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Of note, over the years I have used the file iterations on several occassions. 

I have had corrupted files that I was able to recover by going back a few iterations.

I have recovered an old version of a design when the boss decided he liked the one I did before better than his latest good idea.

I now use PDMLink, so file iterations isn't a thing for me anymore but they did come in handy several times over the years.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

This is from the PTC Creo help files:

Setting the value of the save_file_iterations configuration option to no saves the files as follows:
A new file is saved without a version extension.
An existing file with a version extension is saved with a version extension.
An existing file without a version extension is saved without a version extension.

If your existing files have the iteration extension, they will continue to have the iteration extension.

Yes sirrrrrrrrrrr!!!! You are a god, all new parts work, old ones dont. Thank you very much!

Just to clarify, did you try stripping out the numbered extension to see if the setting save_file_iterations no would work with "old parts" ? Basically, rename your base_plate.prt.109 to base_plate.prt in Windows explorer?  I'm curious if Creo keeps the iteration number in the file itself.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:pausob)

I was wondering this same thing. Can someone who doesn't use Windchill test it? I will try to test it on my home Creo this weekend, but I typically like the iterations.

Top Tags