cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Config Option for Saving

sstavos
1-Newbie

Config Option for Saving

If I open a file in a directory other than my working directory and save it, it will be saved to my working directory.

Is there a config option that will save that file in the directory thatitoriginally came from? Andnot my working directory.

Steve

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:sstavos)

Are you sure that's what's happening? To my knowledge, files opened
from a directory other than your working directory get saved back to
their source directory by default. The exception may be if there are
permissions issues that prevent saving to the original folder, but I'm
not sure about that.

Doug Schaefer
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Doug is right. If you don't have permissions to save in the source directory you will get an error message. It will only save to your working directory if you a) implicitly choose it as the directory to save in or b) it is the source directory.

I have users run into this all the time when they go looking for a file they think they saved in their working directory but it's actually saved somewhere else because they didn't pay attention to where they opened it from

Mike Brattoli
Moen Incorporated
Global Strategic Development
Engineering Systems Administrator
25300 Al Moen Drive
North Olmsted, OH 44070

In Reply to Steve Stavos:

If I open a file in a directory other than my working directory and save it, it will be saved to my working directory.

Is there a config option that will save that file in the directory thatitoriginally came from? Andnot my working directory.

Steve

My Override_store_back was set to yes and it should be set to no.

You need to set override_store_back to no.

Are you using Windchill PDMLink?
This can cause the model to be saved to your workspace

Best Regards

Chris Collinson
CAD Administrator
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:sstavos)

I just tested with WF4 M170 with no PDM and a file opened from a directory other than my Working Directory, saved back to the other folder.
With a PDMLink workspace as my Working Directory, a file opened from a local folder will save to my Working Directory workspace.

Thank you,

Ben H. Loosli
USEC, INC.
Top Tags