Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Config.pro & User Profiles

I have two questions 1.) Can more than one config.pro file be loaded in proe, example of what I would like to achieve...... I have a standard config.pro file that we use in our company, but i want to load that config.pro file along with my own personal config.pro file so all my mapkeys and user settings are correc. 2.) Is it possible in proe like in Acad to load user profiles that have our own personalized settings and if so how do you create one and load it every time proe starts? Thanking you in advance Hendrik.
6 REPLIES 6

RE: Config.pro & User Profiles

From the help system: How Pro/ENGINEER Reads Configuration Files at Startup Pro/ENGINEER reads configuration files automatically from several areas. If a particular option is present in more than one configuration file, Pro/ENGINEER applies the most recently loaded/read setting. At startup, Pro/ENGINEER first reads in a protected system configuration file called config.sup. It then searches for and reads in configuration files (config.pro, config.win, menu_def.pro) from the following directories in the following order: loadpoint/text (loadpoint is the Pro/ENGINEER installation directory) - Your system administrator may have put configuration files in this location to support company standards for windows configuration settings, formats and libraries. Any user starting Pro/ENGINEER from this loadpoint uses the values in this file. Login directory - This is the home directory for your login ID. Placing your configuration files here lets you start Pro/ENGINEER from any directory without having a copy of the files in each directory. Startup directory - This is your current or working directory when you start Pro/ENGINEER. Note: The local configuration files (config.pro, config.win, and menu_def.pro) in your startup directory are the last to be read; therefore, they override any conflicting configuration file option entries. The config.pro file does not, however, override any config.sup entries. You can create and store custom configuration files in your current working directory. These custom configuration files usually apply to specific projects.

Hello Hendrik, the load sequence for config.pro is - loadpoint\text - home directory (find out what that is in Windoze) - working directory (where Pro/E starts) New options will be added and later options will overwrite older ones. Options in config.sup will not be overwritten. User options can be placed in the home directory.

Here we load 3-4 config.pro files and 2 config.win files every time we launch Pro|E. Here's a couple more tips:
[*:afdb0fcc79]The config.sup must be in the loadpoint/text folder. Pro|E won't read it from anywhere else. [*:afdb0fcc79]The 'start up' folder is defined in Windows by the 'Start In' field in properties box for the shortcut used to launch Pro|E. RMB on the icon/shortcut you use and select Properties. [*:afdb0fcc79]Config.win files load in the same order. These files control the button and toolbar layout in Pro|E. More than one can be loaded, they are cumulative. However, the results can be quite unpredictable. We've found that by separating what company and personal config.win files control, good results can be achieved. For us, the company config.win only changes drop down menus, no toolbars and the personal config.win changes everything but drop down menus. [*:afdb0fcc79]To help things stay consistent, we wrote a little batch file to copy company config files to the loadpoint/text folder from the server every time Pro|E starts.
Hope that helps.
--
Doug Schaefer | Engineering Manager
Crow Works

I would also like to expand our ProE start up options. I have a config.pro file that everyone needs to load and adhere to. However, I would like to specify a directory for each user that would store their session related files. I am envisioning sub-directories under my start up directory. Thanks in advance! Kathy

Confiig.pro troubles

I had my configuration set up the way I liked, but it recently quit loading properly. I have a couple of questions: 1) Does the config.pro file need to be in the working directory or can it be stored elsewhere? 2) Will opening certain part files override the config.pro options?

RE: Confiig.pro troubles

Sometimes I want certain config options to load only when I am working in a specific working directory. Specifically, there are search path options that I want to load when working on an aseembly, but I don't want these search paths listed in the global config.pro file that is loaded from the loadpoint/text folder. Alos, where is the Login Directory?