cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo 2.0 - 32 bit and 64 bit

DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock

Creo 2.0 - 32 bit and 64 bit

We currently have a network install of Creo 2.0 with Flexible Modeling Extension available. One department is using some vendors that employ solidworks. That department has been asking how we can open these solidworks files in Creo. In discussions with PTC I've gone through several suggestions on how this can be accomplished.

The final two solutions are

- to become a solidworks customer to download the 64 bit version of solidworks explorer 2012. This isn't available for free download to non-customers.

- install Creo 2.0 with both the 32 bit and 64 bit options checked. I'm reluctant becuase I seem to remember doing this previously and ran into problems. Of course I can't remember the specifics at this time.

Anyone else encounter problems when choosing both 32 and 64 bit versions during Creo install? At this point I probably won't do the reinstall due to the uncertainty.

TYIA

4 REPLIES 4
egifford
4-Participant
(To:DonSenchuk)

Don,

What did you end up doing for this? We are receiving native solidworks files from some suppliers and want to directly open them. I'm in a particularly odd scenario, though, where I have the option for opening solidworks parts and assemblies on both my primary and test PC (both Win 7 64 bit, running Creo Parametric 2 M090 - the Solidworks file types show up in the Creo Parametricfile open dialog). I have not installed Solidworks Explorer on either PC, and per the PTC support site, it wouldn't work anyway because I'm running 64 bit Creo and as you mentioned, Solidworks Explorer is only available for download as 32 bit - and that combo won't work (per PTC). As CAD Admin, I have a lot of different software on my PCs so I suspect something I've added at some point is making this work.

I've used a clean laptop (Win7 64 bit) and installed Creo 2 M090, and everything I could think of that I have on both my PCs that might have put some hook in the system that is allowing me to directly open Solidworks parts and assemblies. FEA applications, viewers, other CAD apps that can open solidworks files etc, even Solidworks Explorerand Edrawings (grasping at straws)- no change, that install of Creo doesn't have Solidworks files in the file type dropdown of the file open dialog.

So my question is (to anyone in the forums) do you have the Solidworks file types in your File Open dialog of 64 bit Creo 2 Parametric and it works correctly? If so, how did you get it there?

Erik

egifford
4-Participant
(To:DonSenchuk)

Figured it out: The install of MasterCam X7 on my PCs have the appropriate SwDocumentMgr.dll file. Copying that file to the test laptop and registering it makes the install of Creo capable of directly opening the Solidworks files.

Erik

I just had to do make the SW import work this week.

Essentially, you've already got the files installed on your machine. You just need to modify the startup file to tell Creo that you're running in 32-bit. Ran the installer again to get two different startup configurations. Now when I fire up Creo,I get a pop-up that asks which configuration I want to run.

Check out CS38652 on the PTC support site for all the details.

Here's most of it:

• PTC does not recommend installing 32 bit Creo on 64 bit windows

• However, if user do install both 32 bit and 64 bit installations, both of them can be started

• By default, when parametric.exe is executed on a 64 bit windows machine, always 64 bit Creo is launched, this is automated by detecting the machine type

• To launch 32 bit Creo, user should set the PRO_MACHINE_TYPE environment variable with value as i486_nt

• Edit the*.psffiles in the<creo installation=" directory=">\Parametric\binby adding a lineENV=PRO_MACHINE_TYPE=i486_nt (The line must be added at the beginning of the variables)

• Creo 3.0 is now only 2-3 months away. Depends if you need a production ready release or not to open SW fileshttp://www.cadplace.co.uk/News/Reports/Thousands-arrive-in-Anaheim-for-PTC-Live-Global-2013/Creo-3.0-to-deliver-AnyData-capability-to-PTC-customers

Top Tags