cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo 3.0 Config Options List?

mperkins
2-Guest

Creo 3.0 Config Options List?

Is there any place that has a full list of config.pro options for Creo 3.0 M090 specifically? What about a config checking utility? This is the only one I can find, and it is a tad outdated:

ProESite - Olaf Corten's Pro/ENGINEER Site - Pro/E Utilities, Benchmark, Tips and Links

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

13 REPLIES 13

There should have been a PDF installed along with the software, though I guess it is up to Admins to put it somewhere the users can find it, at least for commercial licensing. I think it is possible to get a list of all the options, but not the explanations, from the Config interface by selecting All from the drop-down.

What would you expect to check? Creo coughs up a list of config options it doesn't like, though I think you need to look in the trail file to see the messages after they fly by; they might appear in the message log.

Other than that I have created Excel sheets to filter and sort options from the config files.

Creo 3 help docs are nearly half the size of Creo 2.

Maybe they depend on online resources more... or

....they changed compression.

I've noticed meaningful images are getting rare in the help docs.

There used to be a PDF for the config options all by themselves. 1300 options takes up some space.

In Creo 3 they got creative with the Config editor, but it doesn't fix the fundamental problems.

Creo Parametric Help Center (Using the Options Dialog Box)

And this behavior is certainly unwelcome - "Conflicting values means that two configuration files have differing values for the same option. In this case the system default setting is used until you reset the value for the current session."

So one can't load a generic config and then a custom one to over-ride certain values? Is that how this really works? Borked as borked can be.

I'm reminded that failed config options are flagged in the Config editor, but it's not a simply extracted list.

dschenken wrote:

And this behavior is certainly unwelcome - "Conflicting values means that two configuration files have differing values for the same option. In this case the system default setting is used until you reset the value for the current session."

So one can't load a generic config and then a custom one to over-ride certain values? Is that how this really works? Borked as borked can be.

I'm reminded that failed config options are flagged in the Config editor, but it's not a simply extracted list.

This sounds like a pretty bad change. Does PTC get that evil? Can anyone with Creo Parametric 3.0 please confirm that the configs in workdir or homedir can still overwrite the configs in text dir and not result in a default setting?

Hi,

Note 1:

Text paragraph beginning with Conflicting values means that two configuration files ... is present in Creo 2.0 Help, too.

Note 2:

I tested config.pro files containing SHADE_QUALITY option and everything works as usually.

TEXTdir\config.pro ... SHADE_QUALITY 5

HOMEDIR\config.pro ... SHADE_QUALITY 6

STARTUPDIR\config.pro ... SHADE_QUALITY 7

STARTUPDIR\config2.pro ... SHADE_QUALITY 8

---

SHADE_QUALITY has always the value included in the last opened file.

MH

Martin Hanák

hi Martin,

Allright, i still don't understand what the hell is the help talking about on that matter but anyway, the important part is that it works the way as a sane person would expect. Thanks.

~J

mender
6-Contributor
(To:dschenken)

Thank you for informing of this incorrect bit of documentation.  As you've surmised, the statement about 'conflicting values' is not true, and the way the configs work is as people expect -- the latest instruction wins, except regular configs don't override config.sup.

The documentation will be corrected in M120 removing the erroneous sentences.

Hi,

using https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/doc/refdoc.jsp?p=browse_results&Product=Creo+Parametric&Release=Creo+3.0&DocType= page I found Creo Parametric 3.0 M090 Configurations Options (CSV format) item leading to https://support.ptc.com/view?im_dbkey=171439 URL.

MH

Martin Hanák

Perfect, thanks.

The real problems [I have] are:

A.) The config.pro file our company uses as a starting template for new employees and users in general was created many years ago. As such, a lot of the configs that are in there work for Pro/E Wildfire 1, but not for Creo 3.

B.) Along with many configs being removed, many have just changed in name; PTC changed the format of a lot of configs. For example, a given option for controlling display quality may still be possible, but it won't work with the current config in Creo 3 because at some point PTC changed the name of it between versions.

C.) For some reason, and I'm not sure what, whenever we copy a config.pro file for new users many lines duplicate at random. Based off of my cleaning so far, I estimate that our actual config.pro file is about 300 lines without any extra junk in it. Before I started this cleaning effort, it had 900 lines, so 600 of those were random duplicates comprised of real, duplicate options in addition to other options that fall into A and B above.

D.) Conflicts. We have conflicts due to C above, along with the fact that our config.sup file is overriding options in the config.pro because it all got too messy and even our admin lost track of what did what and which file it was located in. I spent several days trying to figure out how to turn shaded line display on and had a good number of folks and pros on this forum stumped. In the end it turns out I'd found the correct configuration name towards the beginning of my search. I changed it and it had no effect so I kept trying to figure it out for days. The simple solution is that the same option was being forcibly overwritten by the config.sup file. I would have found that a lot earlier if I'd had a clean set of config files and/or tools to get there more easily.

E.) The built-in configuration editor is not the be-all and end-all solution. A large portion of configuration options are hidden and do not display in the editor, so you have to know what you're looking for explicitly and either add it to the editor, or insert it into the file manually. I may be mistaken, but I think there may even still be some options in effect that don't display in the editor period, but again am not sure about that part.

In short, a document like the one that Martin linked to is great. Ideally, PTC would publish some sort of utility to verify your config.pro so a guy like me doesn't have to spend a few hours going through 900 lines of config.pro to figure out what works for a given Creo version and what doesn't. The link to the utility I posted in my original post does an okay job, but I've found a few items it has missed in addition to the fact that it gives a few false positives as well.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:mperkins)

Every time you launch creo, it creates a STD.OUT file in the start-in folder. That text file tells you config.pro errors and other useful info for diagnosing some of the option errors.

I learned something today! Thanks a ton for letting me know about this.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:mperkins)

(c) Oh, in a version of creo 2 I think, there was a glitch that every time you modified the config.pro, it saved all the options in to the file you were changing, it create some massive messes from the config standpoint.

As you go through your config, add comment lines to improve understanding of why you added options.

As of now, config files have to managed with each release of Creo. If you let it slide, you get a mess as you have discovered.

Top Tags