cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Creo 4 Failed to connect to server

Dawek
6-Contributor

Creo 4 Failed to connect to server

Hello, 

I have recently installed Creo 4(M80) and it fails to run with error (-96) Failed to connect to server. Server is down or unreachable.

The thing is that i am at home connected via VPN to the network where licencing server is running. However when i brought my PC with me and physically connected my to the network, everything ran just fine.

I tried running it with firewall disabled on my PC as well as on the licensing server, but i keep getting the (-96) message. 

Any suggestions what to try next?

P.S. Don't mind the (-21) message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MartinHanak
24-Ruby II
(To:Dawek)

cs273568.png

Try the above mentioned advice.

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

@Dawek

As this is due to communication, check connectivity on port 7788 and also check for any other firewall blockages in vpn.

CS21768

Dawek
6-Contributor
(To:Mahesh_Sharma)

Thanks for the reply Mahesh, but as I'm not that much IT server guys, i have no idea how to check connectivity to the 7788 port, neither know how to check for firewall in the VPN. I was only able to ping the server via command line.

Also the article you linked is said to be for maintenance only, where I don't have access.

Dawek
6-Contributor

I tried to use telnet to check the port connectivity. I typed: telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 7788 (xxx for the server IP) and the command line turned complete black with just a cursor blinking in top left corner. That means the port is open, right?

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

@Dawek

Yes, blank Window confirms that connection on port 7788 is open.. 

Try adding IP and server name in hosts file ... But I would prefer and recommend IT admin making these changes for you as these changes may affect the machine. 

Dawek
6-Contributor

Ok, thanks.

I forgot to mention that i already did that. If you mean the hosts file located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. It now looks as in the picture, where black is server IP and red server name. 

hosts1.PNG

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@Dawek wrote:

Ok, thanks.

I forgot to mention that i already did that. If you mean the hosts file located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc. It now looks as in the picture, where black is server IP and red server name. 

hosts1.PNG

Hi,

1.]

In Command prompt window ... run ping servername command ... can you reach server ?

2.]

Error -96 is usually related to Firewall on license server.

Ask IT whether Firewall is activated on license server.

If Firewall is activated then ask IT to define incoming rules ... enable incoming communication for lmgrd.exe, lmadmin.exe, ptc_d.exe (these files are located in FLEXnet installation tree).

Martin Hanák

Hi,

also open parametric.psf file in Notepad, locate 7788@ string and check what is written behind it ... it is licence server name. Is this name equal to name you added to hosts file ?

Martin Hanák
Dawek
6-Contributor
(To:MartinHanak)

Hello, 

I can ping the server just fine. 

Firewall is disabled both on my PC and on the license server (as it caused some trouble in the past). I even set Firewall on router to Low (as there is just a slider that can be moved from Low to High). 

For the parametric.psf I checked it and it is the same.

I also tried to address the lincese server during Creo setup by both server name and its IP.

Dawek
6-Contributor

btw. There is a switch between my PC and the Router, but i suppose it shouldn't cause any trouble.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

cs273568.png

Try the above mentioned advice.

Martin Hanák
Dawek
6-Contributor

Is that supposed to be done on my PC or on the server? As I can't find "FLEXnet Admin License Server" folder anywhere.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

FLEXnet Admin License Server and step 1. is related to license server.

Martin Hanák
Dawek
6-Contributor

Thanks, I thought so. I'll let the server admin know and we'll see whether that solves it.

Edit: It solved it, thanks very much.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

what value did you set ... IP address -or- fqdn ?

Martin Hanák
Dawek
6-Contributor

Hi, 

the IP address in license.dat.

Top Tags