We have recently moved from Creo 2 to Creo 4 and noticed that the restricted parameter file is not being activated. The system reads the file fine, according to the message bar when Creo 4 starts. However, even with parameters marked as restricted, the values from the file do nothing. When I selected a parameter and then the check for restricted, Creo 4 opens a window with a table for you to enter the values you want. This then allowed me to select a value for my parameter in the normal drop down.
Is the restricted_param.txt file still needed in Creo 4?
Is the restricted_val_definition <folder_location>\restricted_param.txt still needed in Creo 4?
This file is working for me... Am i missing something ?
Update: I think I got the point. I will confirm and update the post.
I just tested Creo 4.0 and 5.0.
Steps to create restricted parameter:
I looked this in detail. New dialog box for Parameter properties is popping due to an enhancement starting from Creo 4.0.
This enhancement will allow users to restrict parameters which are not in restricted parameter list in addition to existing functionality of using existing parameters with pre-defined values.
Here, if we are using restricted parameters list, simply add parameter and select the value from pre-defined list. Or Create parameter, check Restricted, select parameter from list available in General tab.
Enhancement will allow user to make a parameter, which is not in list of restricted parameter list, restricted at model level without making any change in external file for restricted parameters. We may call it as local restricted parameter.
As an example, one of the parameters COLOR which is not a part of restricted list but in model it should have a value out of specific options color_a, color_b and color_c.
Add parameter, set type and check “Restricted”, which will popup Parameter Properties dialog box. Add/change parameter name > Add possible values (color_a, color_b and color_c).
I hope this will explain the enhancement.
My concern is that it does NOT recognize an existing restricted_params.txt file.
I have 6-8 restricted parameters in my file, which is loaded. But the values in the drop down were not being loaded from the file when I made those restricted parameters. This is how it worked in Creo 2.
In Creo 4, I had to basically make them all new 'local parameters' for the drop-down list to populate.
Something has changed along the way that is not fully documented.
My concern is what happens when I make a change to my restricted_params.txt file? New values do NOT seem to be loaded into the local parameter list. I do NOT want all of my users to have to add local parameters to their files because of a change. These parameters are used to fill in the title block on drawings. We do add people to these lists from time to time. Updating the master drawing template is OK for new drawings, but not when someone is added as an approver for an existing drawing.
We use restricted parameters as well and haven't seen any change in behavior between Creo Parametric 3.0, 4.0, or 5.0. The parameters are created the same way, and act the same way when selecting values. No changes were made to our restricted parameters file or the related config option.
If you make changes to a restricted parameter file, Creo must be restarted to read it. (The file is only read once during startup.) New parameters created after the restart will use the new values but existing parameters will not use the new values until "Update Restriction Definition" is called from the "Tools" menu in the parameters window for each affected model. This is not new behavior. It's been there since at least Wildfire.
We have been using restricted parameters since Wildfire 3, but something is different here.
When I changed a value in the restricted_params.txt file and then launched Creo 4 M060, The file is loaded.
I then created a new drawing which has local parameters defined, verified that the addition was NOT in the drop down box for my parameter and went to Tools-Update Restricted Parameters and got the message that the file was up to date with the external file, which I know it is not.