cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Creo Crashing

koppedahl
1-Newbie

Creo Crashing

Running Creo 2 M200. Creo crashes almost every time I dock or undock my laptop. I probably restart Creo 3-4 times per day for the past year. It's absolutely awful. Please fix this issue.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
emeyer
6-Contributor
(To:koppedahl)

If the software is truly crashing you likely should be looking to PTC Tech Support.  However if your the session is ending because it loses it's license (and the license is served via a file or a local Flexnet load) then your problem is likely related to network cards.  A Creo license attaches itself to a machines CPU_ID/Mac address which is static and unique for a computer.  However when you dock your laptop, in many cases the "dominant" network card can be switched from the laptop's card to the docking station's.  This would then invalidate the license you have.  I'm not absolutely certain this is your issue, but you can try changing the network card "order" to keep your primary card at the top.  See the PTC User community thread 3388 CPU_ID not recognised

I know that the license is lost every time I dock / undock because my computer switches between Ethernet (docking station) and WiFi (laptop), and I don't expect a resolution for that. If the docking or undocking is successful, meaning Creo doesn't crash, there will just be a msgbox that pops up saying the license was lost and I can either Exit or Retry. The Retry option will find the license and everything is good. The problem is that over half the time, the docking / undocking is unsuccessful and Creo just becomes unresponsive and the only way resolution is to shut it down via task manager, then restart. I'll mess around with the network card order, but I'm not sure that will make a difference considering I am actually switching internet connections every time I dock and undock.

mender
6-Contributor

There isn't enough information in this post to diagnose what's going on, though it is clear that this sort of thing doesn't happen for most people.  Please contact Tech Support and open a case on it.  In particular, if it is crashing (the software exits when you didn't ask for that, producing a traceback.log file) then some investigation is possible from just that traceback, even if PTC cannot reproduce the issue; similarly, if it is hanging (the software becomes unresponsive, and must be killed by the user), Tech Support can walk you through using a tool that will get some call stacks for the running process which are similarly useful.

rcook
6-Contributor

I had the same problem a few years ago. When I got a new computer, the problem went away. No change to Creo configuration. So, at least in my case, it was related to the system, not the software.

If your wifi is fast enough, you could just run wireless all the time instead of switching to Ethernet when docked...

Top Tags