cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Creo Help Centre fails unless run as user with admin rights

WilliamLamb
8-Gravel

Creo Help Centre fails unless run as user with admin rights

Recently as a drive to minimise risk to our network we rescinded all admin accounts on our PCs, although we do have the ability to run things with admin rights using shift-ctrl right click "Run as different user..."

So now Creo (2.0 M230) runs fine as a normal user, but the Creo Help Centre is trashed and only works when you run as a user with admin rights (on some PCs!!) and on the remainder it runs using the normal user non-admin logon.

Has anyone encountered this, and is there a fix ?

I've searched the normal PTC Knowledge Base but nothing shows (that I can see).

Thanks

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well for those who are interested I have resolved the issue, the main problem here is that PCs are built using a temporary account, this user account is then copied into the NT user default user account and as such as users log into the PC the NT User account template is copied into their NT User account configuration. We see this in Creo when the file open dialog is pressed and desktop is selected it doesn't go to the actual C:\Users\%username%\Desktop but to C:\Users\tempacctname\Desktop because Creo uses the registry settings for CurrentUser which unfortunately have been filled in by tempacctname and not %username%.

So when Creo Help was run java creates its temp files in C:\Users\tempacctname\Appdata\... which is not writable by anyone who is not in the Administrators group. Solution (not liked) change security on C:\Users\tempacctname\AppData to allow Authenticated Users write access.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Well for those who are interested I have resolved the issue, the main problem here is that PCs are built using a temporary account, this user account is then copied into the NT user default user account and as such as users log into the PC the NT User account template is copied into their NT User account configuration. We see this in Creo when the file open dialog is pressed and desktop is selected it doesn't go to the actual C:\Users\%username%\Desktop but to C:\Users\tempacctname\Desktop because Creo uses the registry settings for CurrentUser which unfortunately have been filled in by tempacctname and not %username%.

So when Creo Help was run java creates its temp files in C:\Users\tempacctname\Appdata\... which is not writable by anyone who is not in the Administrators group. Solution (not liked) change security on C:\Users\tempacctname\AppData to allow Authenticated Users write access.

You should probably mark your post as answered.

Thank you for the advice Steveg, have done. Thanks to all that read it, it was good to know it was read, I think the underlying OS/user configuration was too complex a setup for a solution. Still don't know why it runs on some PCs and not others though, but at least have a solution!

The Help Center is also available online for Creo 4.  This is a nice approach, because you don't need admin rights.

https://support.ptc.com/apps/help_center/help/

Thanks,

Stuck on Creo 2.0 at the moment though 😞

Help Center - Creo Parametric 2.0 

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/creo_hc/creo20_hc/index.jspx

@CarTorn92630 wrote:

Help Center - Creo Parametric 2.0 

http://support.ptc.com/cs/help/creo_hc/creo20_hc/index.jspx

Many thanks, I always do a local install as we have engineers who are out on the road with borrowed licenses and no network access, but always good to have an alternate help source.

Top Tags