Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo Parametric Maintenance & Licensing

Highlighted

Re: Creo Parametric Maintenance & Licensing

Subscriptions are only for a year.  They have an expiration date.  Perpetual licenses are licenses you own.  They will continue to work and have no expiration date.

Hi Steve,

yes this was my understanding also - but that changed when our reseller said if we only continue support (not subscription)  on 4 of our 7 licenses then PTC would disable our other 3. which I know wasn't the case because I have a few additional WF5 licences.

Hi Ben - yup see your point there on the "upgrade". I'll make sure that's doesn't happen.

They tried really hard to move us to subscription, but in my view this is not a good idea. our current licences would transition to subscription and if we ever cannot pay for some reason (recessions happen!) we lose the ability to even open our older perpetual versions..

and the fact that we still use creo 3, and are covered with existing maintenance to creo 4, we would have to pay 3 years of subscription before we get the benefit of creo 5 (only because we would't upgrade too quickly)

Highlighted

Time to find a new reseller.  Perpetual licenses are licenses you own.  Period.  There was a time where PTC would not allow you to continue with support if you didn't keep at least 50% of the products on maintenance, but I don't know if that's still the case.  In some ways it really doesn't matter.  As soon as a new version of the software is released, those licenses off subscription will be stuck at the last version they were issued for.  We have plenty of licenses that we've chosen to discontinue support on.  They all still function fine.  With a perpetual license you never have to talk to PTC again to continue using the product.  With a subscription, your ability to run the software ceases the day the subscription runs out.

Highlighted

Or you could have the dumb luck I had yesterday and have your MAC address become dysfunctional.

DEAD IN THE WATERS!

I am assuming you can manage licenses without maintenance.  It was always the "promise".

?

I'm covered on maintenance and I still use Creo 2.0  M040.

So what have I been getting for my money?

It's called insurance  (future proofing) and PTC banks on it big, as do MANY others.

Now they are forcing it as a new way to cover stockholders with impressive lipstick.

SW did the same very loudly and proudly... PTC snuck it in with a deceptive promotion.

I dropped SW like a hot rock leaving me with two self-managed licenses (installs/one user).

My business, however is burdened by PTC.  In some years, significantly.

I wouldn't give up my license, but if you talk with VARs, we will be paying more and more.

I don't even want to get into the VAR thing...

Highlighted

You can generate new licence file by yourself using the licence management web tool even if your maintenance is not active anymore. I've actually done that recently because the motherboard on the computer where a single node locked licence was installed burned out.

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

Highlighted

Thank you, Jakub.

That would be a rude awakening if some if this were to change.

Maybe I should load Creo 4.0 just to feel I got something for my money.

Highlighted

James,

in 2015 PTC allowed to stop maintenance paying partially (for example drop 3 of 7 and remain active 4 of 7).

Unfortunately in 2017 partial maintenance stopping is not possible anymore . Simply said PTC changed rules...

MH

Martin Hanák
Highlighted

Hi Martin,

yes this does seem to be PTC's current policy - just off the phone from our VAR and double confirmed for is we partially renew, we will only get a license which includes those continued, not our old ones.    it's a very aggressive policy by PTC I think..

lot's to think about..

James

Highlighted

Or at least grab a new license file for Creo 4 so you can upgrade at anytime.

Highlighted

It is illegal for PTC to cancel your licenses that you have paid for!

You bought a perpetual license to use Creo 2. It is yours forever even if you do not pay maintenance. The only PTC support you can get is to retrieve a new copy of your license file for a new computer.

I have a license file that says 2 seats of Flex3C are at Wildfire 5/Creo level and 15 seats at Creo2 level. My maintenance is only being paid on those 15 seats.

I may just grab new licenses to have them. ☺

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.