Has anyone suddenly have creo not run at all? I have a Dell M6800 that we were running Creo3, 2 & WF5 on. This morning I come in expecting to get some CAD work done, and none of them will run. Rebooted many times, reinstalled Creo3, uninstalled ALL version, reinstalled, rebooted many times and still will not run. Won't even attempt to run. I watch the task man and you will not see xtop or nmsd in the list at all, even for a second. Called PTC support and worked with him or over an hour and he could not get it to run. Any ideas??
Thx, -- KEN
Is the license server running?
Has the license file expired?
Can you ping the license server?
Where is the license server running?
Has the NIC address changed on the server or the order of multiple NIC addresses changed so the one your license file uses is no longer primary?
The license server has nothing to do with it. The program will not run at all. Since it does not even start to run, it does not have a chance to retrieve a license.
But to answer your question, yes, the license seems to be fine. We did spent over an hour with PTC and they could not solve it. I think it may be a computer specific issue, as we have 2 other computers that are the exact same, but this one was rebuild due to a virus about 6 months ago. It is just weird that it was working fine yesterday, put it to sleep for the night, then this morning it decided not to run at all.
Your idea looks logic.
Try to instal Creo on other same computer. If it will be successfull, than problem is in your PC.
Is antvirus program blocking something during installation? The same with Firewalls?
We have the exact same configuration running on 2 other exact machines. They are all Dell M6800 with the same mother board, processor, graphics card and ram. I am calling Dell today.
perhaps it comes from the network configuration. I have seen something like that.
Try to set a fixed IP adress and you will know.
Is there something corrupt in the parametric.psf file?
Find the batch files that start Creo in your load point. There should be matching *.psf & *.bat files. If you launch the *.bat directly, Creo should run.
Open a command window, browse to the loadpoint and type "start <filenae>.bat" That will launch it in a way that you can see any error messages. you may need to edit the *.bat in Notepad to comment the first line. Change "@echo off" to "rem @echo off" to see all the messages.
Creo creates some variables at launch and I've had it where they either didn't get created or got created wrong and the above helped me figure it out. I had to hack the batch files, if I remember right. It's been a long time and it wasn't really easy.
It could be your user profile. Have someone else log into this computer and see if you get the same result. I have had weird behavior because there were 2 user profiles or the one got corrupt.
I second that idea. We had a user that couldn't run CreoView. Other users logging into the same computer could. They had to remove the user profile and rebuild it. I have no idea what the actual problem was.
I'll add my odd past problem to the mix. Something, I know not what, completely mucked up the PATH variable. This made it so I could not run Creo at all, and didn't get any info whatsoever as to why. I don't remember how I figured out what was causing it, but there you go.
Ok, I just ran into the same situation. I was trying to borrow a license for a trip next week. After borrowing it and disconnecting, Creo would not start. After connecting again it still wouldn't start. I had to go back to a call I had with PTC over a year ago. Here's how I fix my problem. (Still can't borrow the license. Grrrrr!)
This assumes you have returning the license enabled on your license server.
Open a command shell
cd "C:\ptc\Creo 2.0\Common Files\M190\x86e_win64\obj" <-- Your changing dir to the loadpoint x86e_win64 directory.
lmutil lmborrow -return -c 7788@inst-cadlic-1 PROE_EngineerIV <-- This would be your server name and the license you have.
After returning the license I can run creo, as long as I have a VPN session up.
If you are running an earlier version of the license server software you may need to make this change to the server.xml file. (from my call with PTC)
Please make following change and try to return the license in command prompt:
in the license server installation, server.xml file,
<licenseServer adminOnly="true" alertTimeInterval="600" cacheTimeout="600" hostID="PTC_HOSTID=34-E6-D7-0F-34-79" hostName="SLIMAYE2L1" licenseReclaimAllowed="false" maxProcessThreads="10" maxReceiveThreads="5" port="7788" stopServerAllowed="true" stopServerRemoteAllowed="false" uploadRoot="licenses/%v">
Change the red marked “true” value to “false” and save the XML file
All the later versions of the license server should already have that setting as true.
Also this assumes your using the newer license server software that has the web interface, not the old lmtools license server.
The thing that chaps my hide, is it is really simple and fool proof to borrow a Mathcad license and return it. Always works. With Creo, it's a real pain in the neck. Or perhaps further down.
All the later versions of the license server should already have that setting as true. <-- That should have said false. It's supposed to let anyone return a license.