cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Creo can't see files on the network

ptc-4969359
1-Newbie

Creo can't see files on the network

Hey all, been struggling with this issue lately and can't figure out what is going on.

We're running creo parametric 2.0 and have two computers with their own licenses, and storing all the files on a common server.

Recently, I'll set the working directory to the folder on the network I'm trying to work in, then I go to open a file and nothing shows up in the folder. In window's explorer, the files are all there, but Creo can't seem to find them.

The only way I've been able to get around this is to copy files from the server onto my desktop and then move them back to the server when I'm done, but this is a huge time waster.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

10 REPLIES 10
Inoram
13-Aquamarine
(To:ptc-4969359)

Is the network drive mapped in Windows Explorer?

Yes, the network is mapped. Remapping doesn't help.

It's also random which files are visible and which files aren't. A file may be visible, and I can open and work on it, then I'll save and come back later that day and it's not visible. Some files are visible one day, then not the next.

Nick,

what operating system is running on file server ? Can you upload some pictures (Creo open window versus Windows Explorer window) ?

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

Martin,

I believe it's a Mac running OS X Server.

fileproblems.JPG

Update: the server was recently updated to OS X Mavericks

Nick,

I am sorry I do not know the solution of your problem. You can try to ask PTC Support, but I guess they will tell you that saving files on Mac server is not supported .

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Some quick google, it appears there is an issue with SMB in OSX Mav. I'm not sure that is the issue, but I doubt the issue is with Creo itself.

I've seen this previously on our network - specifically, I would add files to a network directory but Creo (actually WF4) couldn't immediately see them. Using a mapped drive letter too.

I think it turned out to be a server configuration issue...

We have had a lot of trouble with this over the years with both ProE and Creo and on Linux and Windows. The files will eventually appear but we believe it is something to do with the way PTC stat the remote files. ProE/CREO seems to want to know about the files on the remote system and is continually requesting info. Sometimes there may be a network clash and not an immediate reply. This has two effects one you can't see new files and in the worst case the system clashes. {Especially if you are working intensively on the screen and the system is requesting remote info. Saving trail files locally helps but doesn't solve all the problems)

System here is now a selection of Linux boxes runing ProE WF3 and mostly PC Win 7/32 saving to a largish linux based network file server. [We tend to see the most problems when the network is more heavily loaded, upto 100 CREO users in one room, but GBit to each machine!]

Regards

gen
7-Bedrock
7-Bedrock

Hi, not sure if you have exactly the same issue but let me describe to you our problem. We have windows 7 64bit PCs running Creo 2 and we all share a common linux file server. We noticed this problem 2-3 months ago, where some users used to create or delete files/folders and others couldn't see those files/folders being created or deleted (inside Creo 2) unless they closed creo 2 and opened it again. All of us have the file server as a mapped drive and through windows explorer everything looked ok. It was like the folder refresh inside Creo wasn't working at all. What solved our problem was to disable the offline files from Windows 7 control panel. As soon as we did that and restarted our PCs everything worked fine. Maybe some issue between windows and samba server compatibility?? I am not sure if or how Creo 2 is involved in this issue.

Regards,

George

Top Tags