cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Creo issue pinning to task bar

TSL
3-Visitor
3-Visitor

Creo issue pinning to task bar

I recently installed Creo 6, and after installation created a shortcut on the windows 10 taskbar.  The target is my install ("C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 6.0.0.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe") with the start in set to my working directory.  Creo 6 launches with all the correct configurations, but shows up in the task bar ungrouped with the shortcut and shows up as "Creo 5".

If I right click on the open windows icon in the task bar it says "Creo 5" and if I click properties on "Creo 5" I get shortcut properties listing the target as "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 5.0.0.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.exe".

Where is this coming from?  I did a full uninstall of Creo 5 prior to installing 6.  I cant find any system/environment varriables pointing at this path, or any registry entries pointing to Creo 5.  The Creo 5.0.0.0 directory does not exist either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TSL
3-Visitor
3-Visitor
(To:TSL)

I got to the bottom of the issue.

I had a shortcut on my desktop still for the old version that didnt get deleted.  So while the pinned shortcut was correct, for some reason when the program ran it shows up referencing the old shortcut.  If you delete the shortcut from your desktop and clear out anything in your: "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" then repin a new shortcut everything should work.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Did you remove the Creo 5 taskbar icon and shortcuts when you deleted the program. I have sometimes had them not be deleted by the uninstall program. If you double click a Creo 5 icon to launch it, does it launch something or come back with Program not found? You should get a choice to reassign the icon or delete it.

TSL
3-Visitor
3-Visitor
(To:BenLoosli)

Yes, I deleted the shortcut prior to installing.  If you open Creo, then pin what opens to the task bar, you end up with a pinned shortcut to Creo 5.  When you click on it it says it cant be found, and asks if you want to delete the shortcut (as the 5.0.0.0 folder was removed when I uninstalled 5).

TSL
3-Visitor
3-Visitor

I got to the bottom of the issue.

I had a shortcut on my desktop still for the old version that didnt get deleted.  So while the pinned shortcut was correct, for some reason when the program ran it shows up referencing the old shortcut.  If you delete the shortcut from your desktop and clear out anything in your: "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" then repin a new shortcut everything should work.

Top Tags