cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Creo on Linux: best practice

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine

Creo on Linux: best practice

Hi there,

is there anyone, who managed to run Creo Parametric on a Linux machine?

I was able to start the installation in "wine", but it always has problems installing the "Platform Agent".

6 REPLIES 6
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:Mat)

In the past I attempted to "wine", not for a Linux machine, but for OS X (a Unix based OS, too), though not Linux. I also tried to install Creo within a Virtual Machine. Never got it to work. I suspect that even if I could surmount all the hardware emulation difficulties (graphics, handling all the licensing communications, etc.) it would likely be very clunky.

I did what you might have already done, too, in that I checked on the Wine site as to what they had tested and all that for Creo. Unsurprisingly, the current rating for using Wine to run Creo 9.0 is "Garbage". There's insufficient interest in doing so for enough people to suffer through all the testing they'd need to do to get it to be acceptably functional. If that's even possible.

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:KenFarley)

Luckily I was able to get Creo 10.0.5.0 running in Mint22 ( within a VM )

Mat_0-1722351112380.png

Steps to reproduce ( not a complete step-by-step tutorial)

• Create a VM with VirtualBox
  • Install Mint 22 within the VM
  • Install "PlayOnLinux"
    • "Install a program"
    • "install non listed program"
    • "install a programm in a new virtual drive"
    • name it "creo 10" (e.g.)
    • choose 64bit installation
    • choose "setup.exe" in Creo installation folder
    • During Creo Installation, I skipped the license configuration ( I do not know, if it made a difference)
    • Surprisingly, the installation finished successfully
    • Choose "parametric.exe" within the PlayOnLinux dialogue to create a shortcut for Creo
  • Navigate to Your virtual "c-drive" and the creo installation folder within to edit "parametric.psf" ( change values for license and features )
  • Start Creo from "PlayOnLinux"

When Creo starts, there are a bunch of warnings (e.g. I could not connect Creo to my windchill server because of a self signed certificate), but it runs for now.

Unfortunately, I do not have some "spare hardware" to install Mint22 directly, yet. But in the VM Creo is still some sort of usable.

CAD_Monkey
7-Bedrock

?!? That sounds too simple. I shall test this in Ubuntu stat.

I mean, you can install Creo without configuring the license server, but then it should just complain about no license when starting it.

Do you have an external license server that you fetched the license from? I.e 7788@localhost or some such? 

Also: do you get any 3D acceleration at all?

Friendly,
/M

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:CAD_Monkey)

Yes, I thought the same.

After messing around with "wine" and "winetricks", "PlayOnLInux" finally worked under Mint22.

I tried the same trick with OpenSuse Leap 15.6, but had no luck (installation completed, but could not run parametric.exe)

I have a separate license server running (e.g. 7788@license-server.company.local). Unfortunately "reconfigure" did not work, but I was able to enter that needed information manually in "parametric.psf".

Another bummer is, that I solved the webserver certification issue, but still cannot connect to Windchill (the login dialog just does not appear)

At last 3D acceleraton: I tried it, but it did not work. The VM booted, but crashed afterwards.
But running this in a VM was always intended as a testing opportunity.

Chris3
21-Topaz I

Mat
13-Aquamarine
13-Aquamarine
(To:Chris3)

Thanks, but I already did 🙂

Announcements
NEW Creo+ Topics: PTC Control Center and Creo+ Portal

Top Tags