cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Creo parametric 4.0 m090 Not working through vpn

MR_10682149
4-Participant

Creo parametric 4.0 m090 Not working through vpn

Creo parametric 4.0 m090 Not working through vpn but is working normally through the company network

i contact our network administrator and said that everything is fine in our network.

what i tried

1- reinstall creo 

2-changing the path to  IP / servername/ 

3- some more methods i dont remember 

nothing works 

Hint : we are using Pulse vpn ,and creo works with 1 user laptop through vpn 

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MR_10682149)

If Creo is working when you are connected directly to the company network, but not working when connected through the VPN, then the issue is not with Creo. We also use Pulse for our corporate VPN and I have no issues connecting to my computer at work and running Creo on it. I do realize that you are trying to run Creo directly on your laptop through the VPN and that may be a little different.

Where is the license file for your Creo session? Local on your laptop or coming from a company server through the VPN?

Is there a port being blocked on the laptop?

If it works on one laptop, look at the configuration and compare them.

MR_10682149
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

hello Ben,

thanks for you help im trying to run creo directly from the laptop , the license is on the company server . 

for the ports i have checked with the network manager and said everything is ok ( but i can double check)

Thank you ! 

MR_10682149
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

as i see that the port is for vpn is ESTABLISHED 14344 so i thing the creo agent is established

See if this thread is helpful

https://community.ptc.com/t5/3D-Part-Assembly-Design/Creo-Parametric-slow-framerate-over-VPN/m-p/801894

--
AJ Troglio, Adv Mfg Engr
Hunter Engineering Company
Creo 4 M150

Thank you AJ

i will take a  look at it during the day

What is the name of your WI-FI you are connecting to your router. We have found connection issues with certain laptops going through -2G and -5G. Examples below.

Connects with:

Fontier1936

Connection Issues:

Fontier1936-2G

Fontier1936-5G

MR_10682149
4-Participant
(To:llie)

hi llie , 

yup you are right im going our from a wlan guest-XXX

i will try tomorow to use another wifi without any special characters

thank you in advanced !

MR_10682149
4-Participant
(To:llie)

nope unfortunately that was not the issue , i tried from a wifi without any special character and the same error accours

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

What error messages are you getting?

Are the messages coming from Pulse, FlexNet or Creo?

dnordin
15-Moonstone

Work with your network administrator and try the following to validate your machine can communicate with the license server properly over VPN.

On the license server:

1. Check the FlexLM license logs on the license server to see if your requests are even making it to the license service. If there are no records in the log when you try to access a license, then the license server isn't getting your request at all, and you need to check the basic communications between your machine and the license server. If the request is in the log file:
    1. check the FlexLM setup to see if there are settings that would deny your request. These would be set in the options file for the PTC license service. As an example, option settings can block a range of IP addresses.
    2. Check the response times between your PC and the server.  Long response times (typically >100ms in my experience) can result in a communications timeout.
  2. Try to ping your PC by name (not IP). This will validate the server can resolve your PC hostname when connected via VPN. If not, check how DNS resolves clients using VPN.  Using "tracert" is also a good option.
  3. Make sure the license file specifies a vendor daemon port number, and if there are firewalls configured, that the vendor daemon port is opened along with the standard lmgrd.exe port. The vendor daemon port is not defined by default in the license file. When a vendor daemon port is not defined, FlexLM will assign one randomly which will cause issues with the firewall settings.

EXAMPLE (in the license file):
SERVER <license server name> PTC_HOSTID=<MAC> 7788
DAEMON ptc_d port=3001

The lmgrd.exe port is 7788, the vendor daemon port is 3001.

On your PC:

1. Use powershell (run as administrator) to validate the communication from your machine to the license server over both FlexLM ports. Using ping won't validate the ports used by the license system.
    Test-NetConnection -ComputerName <license server name> -Port <port #>

EXAMPLE:
Test-NetConnection -ComputerName mylicenseserver -Port 3001

If the connection fails, you'll get a response like "TcpTestSucceeded : False"

2.  If you are hard wired to your router at home and you're using a port replicator/docking station, try plugging the network cable directly into the laptop instead of the port replicator/docking station.  Some newer port replicators/docking stations can have their own network card and MAC address.  We've seen license communication issues with this setup and certain HW.

Regards,

Dan N.

Hi, 

I am the responsible network admin from  MR_10682149 and i testet what you describe. 

The tracert is working 

MR_10715060_0-1686730043901.png

In addition to that, also tnc and nslookup ist working.

MR_10715060_1-1686730170733.png

The License Server is on our company site and reachable trough Pulse. 

I couldn't figure out why Creo isn't starting.

Between Pulse and the License Server is only Layer 2 Filtering, and no other firewall rules, which would block the traffic. 

Is there any log folder on the client where i can figure out why it runs into timeout and crash? 

Also in the license file is only the license server entry 

MR_10715060_2-1686730390535.png

kind regards. and thanks

dnordin
15-Moonstone
(To:MR_10715060)

Thanks for the images and info.

I would start with checking the FlexLM license service logs on the license server. Do the license server logs for the PTC license service show the PC is requesting a license? If not, then the FlexLM service isn't getting a request at all, and you should check the 2 communications ports. The LMGRD.EXE port is 7788. If you're not specifying a vendor daemon port number in the license file as described earlier, you can look at the log file to determine which random port was selected by the vendor daemon. The communications need to work with both port numbers. If you have access to Wireshark, you can load it on both machines and monitor both ports.   The images show you running the commands from the PC to the server. Did you run the same commands on the license server to the PC?

The response times from the tracert look good. I wouldn't suspect a FlexLM timeout issue based on those numbers.

Does your company enable the Windows 10/11 firewall on the laptops when they connect via VPN or more generically, when the laptop isn't hardwired to your domain or on the company WiFi (typical in my company)?  Just another consideration.

What is the behavior of Creo Parametric at startup? Is it stating that a license is not available and shutting down, or is the software crashing on startup?  They are 2 very different issues.

Regards,

Dan N.

Top Tags