cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo requesting checkout of parts on opening

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Creo requesting checkout of parts on opening

We use Pro/Intralink to store our cad data and one of the annoyances that comes up all the time is being asked to check out models when opening. It appears to be random components/assembles within the models, but I have to then select from continue, checkout, or mark read only. Each of those presents it's own problems, but I'd like to understand why this happens. Does anyone have any ideas?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Aaronm87)

Can you attach the parts and assemblies?

Any reference from models to each other other than assembly constraints?

With everything open in Creo and looking at the global reference viewer, any dependencies?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

The number 1 reason a file is considered modified when opened is it was last saved in an older version of the software. If you just moved to Creo3 and open an assembly that was last saved in Creo2, you will see that those Creo2 files are considered modified.

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst
(To:BenLoosli)

All models were generated in the same version of Creo.

ChrisHanna
6-Contributor

Two things to look at/for:

1. Circular references.  In your startup directory are there any *.crc files?  Removal of all circular references will make Check In and regeneration faster.

2. Use the Global Reference Viewer to investigate the references and dependencies.  This includes Relation references.

Hope this helps.

No .crc files exist in my startup directory.

What would I be looking for in terms of dependencies?

Model B is a subassembly of model A in this instance.

If I open up model A, it says that model B is read only and cannot be modified. If I unlock model B, then I have to select checkout, continue, read only before continuing. If I open model B, it asks the same thing and always puts a + at the end of the iteration as if I have changed something in the model. I'm sure it has something to do with my workflow, but I'm not sure what to look for.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Can you attach the parts and assemblies?

Any reference from models to each other other than assembly constraints?

With everything open in Creo and looking at the global reference viewer, any dependencies?

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

Unfortunately I cannot upload any of these components.

Okay, so when I looked at the reference viewer under dependencies I saw several objects with a big X next to the name (they were suppressed objects). I also found one components with a dependency (had a trash can icon next to it). That seems to have fixed it, thanks!

So I guess the next question is - what causes dependencies? I didn't see anything in the model that was referencing the parent assembly,

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I usually have to look at those "odd" references to figure out why they came about. I know restructure can cause them. Sometimes they are old references that, for whatever reason, stuck. I'm sure there are some really valid reasons, I'm not smart enough to figure them out tho.

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

Here's the latest issue - I have a library part for a threaded insert which has all parts verified and was regenerated before check-in with no issues. I load up one assembly that uses the inserts and no issues. I load up another assembly and it is asking to check out all of the family table parts even though only 2-3 different ones are actually used in this particular assembly.

I typically just mark all the library parts read online to just avoid the issue, but I would like to get to the point where no conflicts pop up when I open assemblies.

You may have to submit the parts to PTC to see why it is happening.

I know that Creo will sometimes skip regenerating parts and operate on stored data, so maybe that's the case for your first assembly.

Otherwise I would look at the instances to see if any carry external references to the second assembly that would have been skipped with the first one. I would also look to see if there are any assembly cuts/flexibility assigned to one or more of the instances.

What happens if you open the instances before you open the assembly?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

With regards to family table parts, I'm certain they occasionally just glitch. My current workspace is showing the jam nuts and orings (and all instances) as modified. It's the first time I have seen those but occasionally I will see the regular nut or hex bolt or whatever pop up as modified.

I generally add all parts to the workspace as locked, that usually avoids regeneration on those. If I'm working along and someone asks me to look at something "right quick", a lot of the time I will allow creo to go get the parts from PDMLink which doesn't follow the auto lock, so sometimes those end up as modified. I never, ever ever check out something unless I know why it's changing. I will just use the continue, allow it to show as modified but NOT check it in when I'm done.

About dependencies - one way is the Component Replace function which has a default box set to 'Remember' the original part.

Top Tags