cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo running very poorly on assembly parts

Hmesto
2-Guest

Creo running very poorly on assembly parts

Not sure if this is in the right section so let me know if I should move it!

I'm a apart of a formula student team and im currently designing the chassis. However, when I open the chassis on my home pc creo is extremely sluggish and it seems to run at just a couple of frames a second.

My system has:

i5-7500 CPU

16GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card

On the uni pc's with lower specs creo works fine... I've spoken to friends and they dont have the same issue at all. If anyone has any ideas that would be great

3 REPLIES 3
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:Hmesto)

Creo performance on gaming graphics cards can be hit or miss. Have you tried setting the config option graphics to win32_gdi?  That bypasses the graphics card so if things get better you have a graphics card or driver issue.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Thanks for the response.

Where would I find the config option? And if that solves the issue then I've just been unlucky with my grpahics card?

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:Hmesto)

I think it's now a hidden option, so you'll have to add it manually to your config.pro file via a text editor.  I believe it has to be present when Creo is started, it cannot be added from the Creo UI.

Your config.pro file should be in C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 4.0\M020\Common Files\text, or a similar folder depending on your version and build.  If there is no config.pro file there, create a text file named "config.pro" (make sure Windows doesn't add a .txt to it) with this one line in it:

graphics win32_gdi

If that solves the problem, it just means that it's related to your graphics card. A new driver might solve it, or an older driver.  Technically, Creo requires a workstation level card but lots of people run on gamer cards with reasonable performance.

You might also try asking in the Education section of the forum, I suspect this is an issue that crops up often with students.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags