cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Creo unresolved parts not saving new changes after being resolved

dmayfield
4-Participant

Creo unresolved parts not saving new changes after being resolved

My question is concerning Creo 2, build M180.  For full disclosure, we are using a non-PTC PDM system that could be a factor in the below, but with the steps that I’m outlining, I don’t believe that this is a factor.

My overall issue is that I am downloading an assembly, and via the PDM system, it is retrieving all the relevant parts and folders as needed to my local machine.  Once I open up the assembly, many of the parts (typically what we call standard parts and are in a different folder than that of the assembly) are unresolved.  I can right click on a part that is in the model tree and hit “Retrieve Missing Component”, navigate to that component on my local computer, and it will resolve that part.  Incidentally, it may (or may not or may randomly) resolve some or all of the other parts that need resolving in the model tree.  One can typically rinse and repeat the above until all parts are resolved.

At this point, I would do a save, close the model, erase memory, and then re-open the model and the changes I had just made in resolving the model are gone.  Please keep in mind all of this is happening on my local PC and I’m not moving any files or folders around.

Is there another method we should be employing to resolve these references?  Is there something we are missing or is it possible that this is a bug in Creo?  I’m looking for work arounds or suggestions to better improve the workflow so that we can fix these things permanently and move on.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dmayfield)

My first guess is that the PDM system is looking within itself to resolve the assembly component location and ignoring the files it has downloaded to your PC. Creo has an 'order' of where it looks for files when loading an assembly, your local files may be outside the normal search points. Do you have a local search.pro file that Creo is reading?

A PDM system will try to control your files, so I would not rule out it as being the culprit.

Is it a big name PDM or one of the smaller players in the field?

Are any of these parts you are having issues with in a family table? Windcill/PDMLink has enough problems with FT, so I can only imagine what issues a 3rd party PDM system would have with them.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dmayfield)

Since you say "retrieving all the relevant parts and folders as needed to my local machine", I'm guess it is a folder issue. Creo assemblies don't "remember" where the parts are located so if they are missing and you close and erase the assembly from memory, Creo doesn't know where the parts are again. As Ben says "Creo has an 'order' of where it looks for files when loading an assembly, your local files may be outside the normal search points."

1. Creo assemblies do NOT track where the parts are located.

2. When you open an assembly, the first place it looks for the parts is parts in memory (already opened parts). (see FILE - OPEN - IN SESSION)

3. If the parts are NOT in memory, the next place is in the directory that you are opening the assembly from.

4. If the parts are not there, then next place is current working directory (see FILE-OPEN-WORKING DIRECTORY)

5. If the parts are not there, then it goes through the search paths and search path files that are listed in the config.pro for your current open session of Creo.

If your PDM is adding folders but not adding search paths, Creo will never know where to find the parts.

Pieface
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

This appears to be a bug.  Even after replacing a reference with lost reference the following occurs:

Missing Reference.JPG  Missing Reference Replaced.JPG

Select Solve and the following displays:

Unresolved Refs.JPG

You cannot get out of it.  When choosing "Close" the following displays:

Outdated Refs.JPG

This is the old there is a way out, but you need to find it.  You must choose "Cancel":

Cancel.JPG

But, that does not fix the issue, it just takes you back Redefine Feature.  The software lost its mind.  I have been trying for 10 minutes to beat the software and so far there is no winning solution.  The reference is there but it thinks it is missing, replacing or deleting does not fix it.  I had to delete and remodel the feature.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Pieface)

This isn't the same problem right? The original problem was file retrieval.

In any case, you might look at your sketcher setup. Maybe it's the orientation plane that has lost it's references.

On occasion I'll find one I can't fix. I usually end up either deleting and rebuilding the feature if it doesn't make a big mess or I remove all the references, redefine the sketch planes, and redo the references.  It can be a big mess if other features (or assembly items) are tied to those features.

Top Tags