Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creo vs. Solidworks vs. Inventor

Re: Creo vs. Solidworks vs. Inventor

I totally agree that we "should be better focused on helping to improve ALL of them! PTC, SW, Autodesk, etc." However, from my experience, PTC has it's doors closed tight to accepting user input and improvement ideas. There isn't a way to help improve it. If you can show us the contact, how they listen, and how they implement those changes, please do! SolidWorks is very focused on listening to user input and regularly makes improvements based on user ideas and suggestions.

For my biggest example of needed improvement, the measure command in PTC is killing me! It's years behind compared to SolidWorks, and years is a long time in today's tech. There are so many steps required in PTC. And in SolidWorks, you don't even have to use the measure command, it will show auto measurements in realtime.

Our company is frustrated as well with the lack of being able to get a resolution to some very basic issues with Creo.

There are some real weakness with sketching in Creo.

I've submitted 1 idea submission in specific that we would like resolved. Nothing at all gets done. I talked to Brian Martin about this specific issue and he brought this issue directly in front of the PTC developers. They said it already was fixed, and he explained how it was not fixed. Even though they said they would look at the issue nothing was done. Fresh this year I submitted essentially the same issue as an idea because I couldn't locate my original submission.

Every once in a while in a forum thread you see a developer come into the discussion and they suggest it gets submitted as an idea to get the issue acted on. Evidently this process is just a mirage.

There are numerous problems with this software suite. I have an assembly with over 10,000 parts in it and what I didn't need from migration from Windchill 9 to 10 was for the light graphic reps to be set to not retrieved. I spent a week reassembling the reps and changing things throughout the hierarchy. I also noticed that the assembly wouldn't even allow light reps to be viewable after migration. So needless to say, reps are a mess.

Yeah , Creo will be the number one CAD in every manufacturing area . Everyone will use PTC creo

I am taught that if you want to be CAD professional , you must think like a Japanese

work hard ,earn less money , obey orders till your retirement

I disagree

PTC Creo has more performance than AutoC../SolidW../Catia..

I will use Creo till 2080

On the topic of problems not being fixed, I'm testing the roll out of a date code update to Creo 2.  We're going to go from M120 to M180.  The Update advisor (https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/update_advisor/update_advisor.jsp) tells me that 693 bugs have been fixed between M120 and M180.

You can't say that they're not fixing problems.

You want your problem solved, use your support account, create a support ticket, work with the PTC support techs and if it's actually a problem it will earn an SPR (Specific Problem Report - I think) and be addressed in an upcoming build.  You do pay for maintenance support right?

Also the status of the corrections are clearly listed in the SPR Information, for example:

PTC_Support_ArticleEx.png

This is a very productive system of software improvement.

I agree on the fact that Creo/ProE is a powerful parametric high-end system, but it’s also the most ugly CAD system in the market! In fact NX and Catia are all so powerful high-end systems, but they have a modern, clean and consistent  UI. PTC did not manage to get the ancient menu manager out of their UI in 5 releases of Wildfire! Even in the current Creo solution, there are still areas with the menu manager! When PTC launched their Creo vision everybody expected/hoped that this would be a brand new CAD systems, which combined the good things form Pro/ENGINEER (parametric modelling) and CoCreate (Direct Modelling) as promised by PTC marketing. However the fact was that Creo was just Pro/ENGINEER wearing a different suit. They just broke a big system into smaller programs called apps and did a little window dressing on the UI. That’s not a breakthrough!

Also if you take a closer look at the direct modeling capabilities in Creo Direct it becomes clear that it’s just simple direct editing capabilities and hiding the resulted feature tree with the direct edit features for the user. These capabilities were already available in Solid Edge V16 (back in 2005!). That’s not a breakthrough, it just smoke and mirrors. In fact Creo is still way behind of the competition (especially Siemens ST and also a  bit on AutoDesk Fusion) in the area of direct modeling. The large CoCreate base is still not able to move to Creo Direct 3.0, because of the absence of basic direct modelling capabilities which they have in their current CoCreate software (now called Creo Elements Direct).

It seems that the same thing is happening with Creo what happened with Wildfire. R&D budget is going to different segments (like IoT) instead of finishing the hyped Creo vision. Back in the days Wildfire was launched, R&D dollars were used for the PLM Solution Windchill instead of finishing the CAD product in terms of the UI. The result was frustrated existing users because they have to learn a new and incomplete UI and frustrated new users because at the surface (in demo’s) Wildfire looked fine, but when doing more complex stuff they were confronted with the ancient menu manager UI.

PTC Creo 3.0 in my opinion is as if someone dug-up a time capsule from the 1990's and said here use this.   I've been using this program for 6 months and still have yet to master the basics.  The s/w is so unintuitive to use that my productivity has dropped by 70%, monster mouse click, to do basic command like dimensioning, and the whole drawing module is horrendous.   And lets just say I live and work 2 towns over from PTC head quarters and I've yet to meet any engineer or see a company that utilized Creo   I called the reseller and asked about training and boy do they defend this product, some so brazen as calling it the best CAD s/w out there.     One time I called and asked about standard library files ( screws, nuts, bolts, PEM's, Etc).  The response "hey Creo is not SWX or Inventor, it doesn't have those, you can just download it, from a website, its not something an engineer does a lot, its not a big deal to do".

Highlighted

Personally - I love Creo ...Of all the softwares I had to suffer - it's the one that I can always find a solution to problems. The others would hit walls that just made it so it could not be done.

Back in '95 I had been chosen to test all the 3D CAD systems and did the 1 week training for each... Pro/E was the one I found intuitive and easy. Things were done in an order that made sense - to me. After one week intro, I was able to go into full on design, and product was being made.

In the early 2000's I was contract to companies that could not do what had to be done in their softwares - cause each has it's problems. I was able to do it in Pro. This cemented for me that PTC's product - though a challenge sometimes to use - was/is the better software.