cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Derived Parts

jstetak
1-Newbie

Derived Parts

Hello!

I am new to the complex end of Creo. I have a project on "Derived Models" for my college course and currently have no idea what that specifically means (an example would be amazing).

From my research I have found that derived models is when you take a part file and "drag and drop" it into a new part file and modify the original file. To clarify any confusion my understanding would be taking a semi sphere 2D drawing and then saving it as file "A." Then opening file A into a new part file and creating a revolve function and saving that file as "B." That would be a Derived Model.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jstetak)

Doesn't sound familiar at all.

Adding a 2D drawing to a 3D model is pretty easy. Using the 2D curves to create a revolve is reasonable.

If you do the work in part file "A", it's still in "A", unless you do a save as to 'B'

I think either your terminology (or instruction) is really misleading.

You can merge parts or cut out parts from each other.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:jstetak)

Perhaps a derived model is more like a family table part? You can have a part, let's stay with your hemisphere. You define this part and perhaps that is all you need for a particular assembly. Now, suppose you need another hemisphere, identical to the original, but with a hole through the middle along the axis of revolution. You add this feature, but you don't want the hole in the original and you're still "using" it. So you set up a family table, add two instances, add a column for the hole feature, and put N and Y in the column for the two versions.

Could that be the mechanism to implement what you are looking for? It sounds like the "derived part" is a concept in a general course on this kind of stuff, and the means of implementing it will be software-dependent.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:KenFarley)

Basic idea is that you start developing a part based on another part.  To try it out, File>New>Part, then in the Model tab, under Get Data, make a Merge/Inheritance feature.  You may find it in help docs by looking for 'merge', 'derived', or 'inheritance'.

Top Tags