cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Difference between Creo Elements/Pro and Creo 2.0

ptc-5196252
1-Newbie

Difference between Creo Elements/Pro and Creo 2.0

Basically my boss said to download Pro/E Creo. I google it but there are so many different kinds it so confusing. So i signed up for the university thingy which lets me download either Creo Elements/Pro and Creo 2.0 which are both formerly known as Pro/Engineering. SO which one should i get or is there a difference? Also can someone explain to me what happened to Pro/Engineering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Please see in attachment "Top Ten Reasons to Upgrade from Pro/ENGINEER to PTC Creo Parametric" PDF document. Youtube video: "Compare Creo Parametric and Pro/ENGINEER".

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Please see in attachment "Top Ten Reasons to Upgrade from Pro/ENGINEER to PTC Creo Parametric" PDF document. Youtube video: "Compare Creo Parametric and Pro/ENGINEER".

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:ptc-5196252)

Creo Elements/Pro - is typically also known as Wildfire v5 (ProE changing over to the Creo name)

Creo 2.0 is the latest version - if you are just learning, you may as well learn on the latest.

Back in the day, Pro/E went by numbers - Pro/E 1.0, 2.0, etc. That was true up to 20.0 around 2000. Then we got Pro/E 2000i, then 2000i2, then 2001 and then we started with the Wildfire series - WF, WF2, WF3, WF4 & WF5.

Creo was announced while Pro/E WF5 was the current version. Creo is really like saying Microsoft Office - it's a suite of applications not simply a new name for Pro/E. All (I think) PTCs 'apps' were renamed immediately, although none of them (that I'm aware of) actually changed. So:

• Pro/E WF4 -> Creo Elements Pro 5.0
  • CoCreate -> Creo Elements Direct (not sure the version)
  • Product View -> Creo View

Then, with Creo 1.0, we got some native Creo apps. These are new versions, not rebranding of old.

• Creo Parametric 1.0 replaced Creo Elements Pro 5.0 (formerly Pro/E WF5)
  • Creo Direct 1.0 is a new direct modeler (CoCreate continues along side as Creo Elements Direct. They are not the same thing)
  • Creo View 1.0 I believe is the next version of Product View.
  • Creo Simulate 1.0 is the next version of Mechanica. I don't remember if Mechanica got renamed right away or not.

There may be others, I'm not sure. Creo 2.0 brought new versions of the above. There are more apps, some new some rebranded old ones, and even more coming in the future.

So, you need to find out what version of Creo Parametric the company is using. Are they still on Creo Elements 5.0, Creo Parametric 1.0 or Creo Parametric 2.0? They are sequential. If you get a newer version than the rest of the company, no one else will be able to open your models.

Oh, and yes, PTC created a confusing mess when they did this.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:dgschaefer)

As far as the version, it also depends on if you are the end customer or if you need to pass data along to others.

Some suppliers need to run multiple versions of Pro/Creo because they may have different customers at different versions of the software. Then you have to keep straight was version each is on, and only work on their data in that version.

(Earlier, I missed that he mentioned the boss and only saw the university thingy - which made me think educational versions)

Yep, I've got clients on WF4, WF5 & Creo 2.0 right now (have Creo 1.0 installed too). I've also got two version of Solidworks on my machine to meet client's needs. I guess Catia is on the way too for another client.

The life of a consultant, or at least a good one. It's surprising to me how many folks post things like "We hired this company to do some work for us and they did it in Creo 2 (or Solidworks or Solidedge or ...) and we're on WF5. How do I read it?" We just had to work on some stuff for a client still on WF4 who had another vendor create files for them and they did so in WF5 and they couldn't read them.

Why isn't the version in the requirements and why doesn't the vendor ask?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Can you please tell me the difference between creo view and creo parametric?

creo view ... enables you to view existing models, only

creo parametric ... enables you to create new models -OR- modify existing models

Martin Hanák

Off at a tangent: does anyone else find it amusing when someone claims to be using "Pro/E 4.0"? What system are they running - 8088 with 8087 co-pro?

Top Tags