cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Does anyone run Creo in a "Virtual CAD" environment (via Citrix)?

jlindqvist-2
1-Newbie

Does anyone run Creo in a "Virtual CAD" environment (via Citrix)?

If so, what are the pros and cons?

2 REPLIES 2

We've been trying to get Creo to run in a virtual environment for about 2 years (VMware) so far I have yet to see decent performance from either platform...  I did however discover BOXX Technologies has a virtual platform called xDI and our testing on that was the best I have seen. It's worth a look and from what I understand can be incorporated into either VMware or Citrix virtual server environments.  

Years ago we had a need to do something like this, but it was horrible. You could open a model and (kind of) move it around for viewing, but trying to do any sort of real work was incredibly frustrating. Clicking on something, then when it doesn't highlight, clicking again, but it was just lagging so you did select it but now you deselected it, etc. Like a sick video game with none of the fun and all of the frustration.

What we ended up doing was installing the software on the home computer or laptop, etc. and using a VPN to obtain a license from the floating pool provided by the network server. Pretty much the same (or better, depending on your home computer setup) performance as the office. With large flash drives available, you could even use one to store the model files so you can put them in the proper place on the office servers.

Top Tags