cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Family Table disappeared from Open Folder

Gp1nick
4-Participant

Family Table disappeared from Open Folder

Hello everybody, 

we have a recursive problem with our working directory. 

Basically, somehow, we reach the limit number of family table variants that we can have in a single folder. 

As we reach this limit, from "file-open" all the variants disappeared and it show only the generic parts. This really  annoying us because basically we work at 90% with family table parts, and also we work in only one folder.

We already try to delete all IDX files and regen a new one, but it doesn't work. Our IDX file is 320Kb.

The strange thing is that we can see all the variants through the "creo browser" (and obviously from the windows search) but we can't open they by double click.

I'm sure it is a ptc limit because if I move a certain amount of generic parts in another folder (so lightening the main folder), we get instantaneously back the view of all the variants in the "File-Open folder". 

This is bad solution for us because of a lot of motivations (including very bad working way we have..)

it is possible to expand this ptc limit?

many thanks

Yannick

8 REPLIES 8
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Gp1nick)

Have you thought about moving some of the family tables to sub-folders that contain specific types of family tables? Sub-folders for screws, washers, nuts, pipe fittings, etc. or whatever makes sense for your business. This may actually improve the way your users see and use family tables as they are now 'organized'.

Gp1nick
4-Participant
(To:BenLoosli)

Hi, yes we have already created a sub-library with bolts, nuts etc and it fixed the problem for a while. But we work mainly with family tables so we produce new instances at really fast pace! 

We are getting to the point that i can't move any other generic parts in a sub-library..

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

A couple of years ago, I had to break down our products into sub-folders. We also rely heavily on family tables and it was actually bogging down the speed of Creo. When you do this, don't forget to add the sub-folders to your search path in your start up file.

Gp1nick
4-Participant

if it isn't possible to expand the idx capacity, then i will have to dismember our directory in sub-folders.. 

I have some concerns that you maybe can clarify:

As we rely almost only on family table, we have generic parts that are still called for example PRT1523, that is the name Creo propose when you hit create new part. This PRT1523 can generate family instance with different name like TU0345 (TU is for TUBE) and SP0034 (SP is for SPACER)

I really would like to take only the instances by name and move to a new folder by name, for example TUBE and SPACER, and leave the generic part in a PRT folder.

Is it something possible? 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@Gp1nick wrote:

I really would like to take only the instances by name and move to a new folder by name, for example TUBE and SPACER, and leave the generic part in a PRT folder.

Is it something possible? 

No.  There is really only one physical file - the generic.  Creo just makes it look like the instances are separate files.  Wherever you place the generic is where Creo is going to show the instances.

Gp1nick
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

ok so i have to move only generic parts... 

Can i delete every instances parts (xas, xpr) from the folder and then move the generic? Once moved the generic, there is a way to bring up again all the instances (without open every generic part individually) ?

many thanks

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Try this:   Select File > Manage File > Instance Accelerator > Update > OK

Gp1nick
4-Participant
(To:TomU)

don't work for me.. to do that i have to open every files one-by-one..

Anyway,  I'm going forward with the folders subdivision, and then i will update IDX files for every folders.. seems better then nothing 

thank you very much, ciao!

Top Tags