cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Flexnet License Manager - importing new license file for Creo 3.0

BuddyHudson
1-Newbie

Flexnet License Manager - importing new license file for Creo 3.0

To All,

Since Creo 3.0 F000 requires a new license file, I am forced to import the new license file by running the setup.exe for the license manager. My question is can I do this on the fly, or do I have to shutdown the license server processes first. I have done it before but it has been a while. I just dont want to kick all of my users out of the system if I can help it.

Any suggestions or comment would be helpful!

Thanks,

Buddy Hudson

14 REPLIES 14

This is where my maintenance dollars go... getting help when I really need it.

What is that supposed to mean?

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BuddyHudson)

Whenever I have install issues, I usually get my reseller on the line to get it worked out.

I plan to have PTC support on the line when I install Creo 3.0 so they can help me make sure I don't overwrite my production version of Creo 2.0.

The install path is completely different for Creo 3.0.

Creo 2.0

7-17-2014+1-23-24+PM.png

Creo 3.0 also separates out the creo agent in the Creo Folder

7-17-2014+1-24-18+PM.png

What about the common files in user folders like ribbon customizations?

I have lost good work with a datecode update even when the loadpoint was a completely different folder.

To date, the Windows user folders have remained unchanged so my ribbon has maintained my updates between versions. But if Creo 3.0 takes over my Creo 2 settings, it could corrupt the files Creo 2.0 uses.

Call me paranoid ...but I eat because I am cautious.

We have all of those saved in a network location and push them out everytime the use launches Creo. We also set a separate location for the start directory C:\TEMP for things like the users customizations so they do not get over written.

Now you are understanding my caution. I cannot afford any gotchas on a simple update.

I understand. But we always test on a fresh machine so we can do a bunch of digging around to find your gochas.

You have a lot of luxuries not available to us sole proprietors. Fixed license, single compliant machine, work in progress... PTC doesn't cater to us. But I do pay maintenance dollar to make the transition easier. Why do you think I am still on M040

I don't see loading Creo 3.0 until at least M010. No matter how much I'd love to play with Creo 3.0 now. I just cannot risk downtime in a stable configuration. I'm obviously trolling the forum for any and all information I can gather regarding the pitfalls of updates to Creo 3.0 while still using Creo 2.0 in production.

I know we are getting off track of the OP, but thanks for the information.

You have got to be kidding me PTC, changing the default install structure again!

Good grief, don't you understand that folks have invested a ton of time in custom configurations and install routines?

Now I get to rewrite them yet again.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I totally agree with you Doug. I do however much prefer the structure they have now. This is what we have been telling them it should have been from Creo 1.0. This way you should be able to have multiple datecodes installed at the same time for those in the contracting world.

I suppose, but now I need to rewrite my batch files to accommodate WF4/WF5, Creo1/2 and Creo3 structures for copying my config files. Thankfully, I likely have at least 6 months, likely 12, before any of our clients jump to Creo 3.

So, I'm guessing that if I now install F000 of parametric and M010 of simulate I get two copies of the common files and everything. What happens if I want to open a model then do an analysis? Do they play nice in the same session?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:BuddyHudson)

We have had problems with this. Solution was to reinstall flexnet with evry licence change just to avoid problems.

Movie line "Nuke `em from orbit its the only way to be sure!" come to my mind evry time I have to go to new version...

Top Tags