cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global config file

myersw
1-Newbie

Global config file

My company would like to set up a global config to set up the main Pro-E configs, then have a "sub" departmental config for each department. I know how to use the search.pro functions for my search paths and personal Icons, but what if a coworker is out, and I need to pull up an assy that needs his departmental search.pro settings, how can I switch back and forth. Unfortunatly we have no database we are just filing in Windows folders.
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:myersw)

You can do this by utilizing the 3 locations Pro|E will load config files from. It may take some batch file magic to make it all work smoothly, but it's possible. Pro|E looks for config files in these places: - The Text folder of the load point. - The user's home directory - The start up directory as defined in the launch shortcut If you put your common company config file on a server and then use a batch file to copy it to the text folder at Pro|E start-up all users will have that. Then, set each user's Windows home directory to a department specific network folder and put the department specific config file there. Lastly, set the start in directory to a folder where the user's personal config file will reside. As far as loading another department's config, that can be done manually after launch. That might be the best solution if it happens rarely. If each department only needs search paths, you can create a specific search path file for each department. Then, in the Po|E launch batch file use choice.exe to prompt for a department pick. Then use the selection to set a variable. You can use batch variables in config files with the following context: search_path_file c:\path\to\search\files\$<parameter>.pro Parameter is the variable name set in the batch file. Not sure if the <> brackets are needed or not, I haven't used this method myself yet. You'd then need appropriate search path files in that same directory for each department. I hope that helps.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

As long as the department config.pro files are located in a centralized location that everyone has access to you should be able to load that departments config.pro. Tools -> Options -> Choose the folder, navigate to the config.pro file and load it. Though this method will have your current active config.pro plus the newly loaded config.pro file. If you are looking to only use another config.pro, you'd need to move it into your search path so it would load on startup. Hope this helps, Glenn |B) Disclaimer: Any views and/or opinions are my own and do not reflect that of my company.

One tip, you can have more than one search_path_file. You have to call them one by one by the option search_path_file my_search_path_file_with_path in your config.pro. They will be loaded in the sequence they are called. Most used components should be at the top as the search ends once the component is found. (preformance)

There is a utility called search.pro generator by arossbach which may help you. http://www.geocities.com/arossbach/proe.html
Announcements