cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Help: Need Methods to Ensure Creo Standards Compliance from users

jwagh
17-Peridot

Help: Need Methods to Ensure Creo Standards Compliance from users

Hi,

I am interested in hearing ideas from users on methods we (Creo administrators) can do to ensure model compliance from its users. Here is what I can say:

1. This should try to be an automatic system (WindChill or Creo) and not have a person actively involved (user to review model and then reject a promotion, user to sit in on review meetings, etc.)
  2. This should prevent users from checking in or creating promotion requests if certain criteria are not met.
  3. By now, you must be thinking modelcheck. However, there are many of our checks that are not covered by modelcheck (i.e. weak dimensions).
  4. We do have a mapkey that helps users go through the model and review the sections that pertain to our 'checklist'. However, there is no enforcement of whether that is being run or not either.

Any ideas are very grateful.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:jwagh)

Modelcheck is a good start. If you have Windchill, you can prevent a check-in if the part/assembly fails your Modelcheck criteria. This can be set for errors and warnings, where if 0 errors but 2 warnings will allow the part in, but 3 warnings will not.

If Modelcheck does not check for certain things that your company needs, open an enhancement request and get feedback on your requirements from other users and PTC. One of these days PTC may actually update Modelcheck. (Not holding my breath!)

I also recommend ModelCHECK.

Have you got a Toolkit license? Then you're able to develop own checks (i.e. to find weak dimensions)!

Or you take a look at 3rd party tools like

Thanks for the links to the 3rd party tools.

Another method you might try are peer pressure, company culture, and management oversight.   Not an easy software solution I know.   Not knowing the history behind this or the situation you find yourself in,  I will take a shot in the dark.  This may or may not apply.

• Document the standards if they aren't already. (Sounds like they might be.)
  • Make sure that people know about them. Distribute copies to people.
  • Have a series of Lunch and Learns over them to discuss what is in them and why they are important.
  • Get feedback from the engineers and designers.
  • Give feedback to the engineers and designers when they do a good job and when they don't
  • Get management behind the standards.  As far up the tree as you can.
  • Document examples and the trouble that not following the standard caused to show why it is important.  Get numbers.  Time lost, dollar cost, etc..
  • Emphasize that the output of engineers are clean models and good looking drawings.  Protect your engineering "brand"  Do you want to look like a bunch of backwards fools or professionals?
  • Disciplinary action against the habitual offenders.

Some of this is a people / management thing.  Are your designers and engineers doing their jobs?   No software will prevent a bad engineer from doing a bad job.

jwagh
17-Peridot
(To:mdebower)

Thanks for the feedback. We do have lunch-n-learns, documents, feedback. Unfortunately, many of the other items on your list, are not pro what we are trying to do.

Top Tags