cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to measure distance from the center of the hole

pvn
8-Gravel
8-Gravel

How to measure distance from the center of the hole

How do you measure the distance from the center of the hole? Or how do you grab a point in the center of the hole?

I am talking about when you are working in the modeling mode.

In other CAD systems you can just activate MEASURE tool. Hover over the hole and then at some point you can select either the hole contour or a point in the center (or by pressing the hot keys).

How do you do that in Creo?

I couldn't find the answer or figure it out intuitively.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:pvn)

For that create a Datum point at center (Datum point > Select Edge of hole > Under References Change ON to Center). Once Datum point created at center use measure and select createed datum point to get XYZ.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

MEasure > Distance > Select Cylindrical Surface in hole > Select another entity to measure the distance. 

That is correct. But it there any way to select a center point of the hole to see what are the XYZ coordinates?

Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

For that create a Datum point at center (Datum point > Select Edge of hole > Under References Change ON to Center). Once Datum point created at center use measure and select createed datum point to get XYZ.

Solved! Thank you very much. That helps!

Too bad though that it is something that needs to be added as a feature and not something that cen be figured out by the software.

@KSM wrote:

You can also simply select "Use as center" which will be the default if you are selecting a circular edge:

measure.png

FYI, this does not work with an imported feature as far as I know.  Either by selecting the edge as show here or the surface. Really sucks when comparing models where one is an import.  This is also annoying when trying to create a point at the center.  It doesn't work so you usually need to create a line between the two end points and then create a point at the center of the line.  Creating an axis at the cylinder center also doesn't work.

Note: the picture is of a STEP file create from a CREO model.

Top Tags