Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to save file

Re: How to save file

so i want to save a assembly file with the same name but in a different folder..so what changes? and if they both have the same name..so one is going to be backup right?

Few suggestions for you...

1. Get a job in which you don't have to use Creo

2. Go on a training course and learn how to use Creo

but whatever one you choose please stop complaining!

Thousands of users over many years have produced fantastic products in Pro/Engineer and Creo without the need to tell the rest of the world how much they dislike it.

rightly said....

i have issues with creo 2.0 the detailing area (symbols creation etc...)..but the point is its a nice and powerful software...

solidworks...is very easy to use...but they are still putting in options..which have been there in creo/proe since ages...

i have been using solidworks for 3+ years now....and creo for 7 years now...

No David. I am not special in my needs. I am simply a user who wants to do what I can do in, get this:

Every other software tool, be it SolidWorks, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, MATLAB, R, you name it.

You say that preventing users from saving a file with the same name in different folders can lead to confusion about which is the latest version. I say the location of the file is more than enough for you to tell which version is the latest.

But regardless, version control is something that you should do with version-control software, largely because file naming is only a speck of what you need to do to ensure you have the latest and greatest in a functioning state in a stable location.

Forcing users to change the name of the file in order to save it in a different location doesn't even begin to ensure version control for that file.

FYI, version control is not something you do as a beginner in industry. It is something all major software development companies are doing. It is a critical part of the software development process, but I guess you can't expect everyone to know that.

No Rohit. A file with the same name in a different location can be simply another version of the same file. The files may be the same, but their purposes are different, and if you as a user are thinking "I need another version of this file", you are not likely to experiment with the menu option that says "save as backup" or whatever that option might be.

It's a matter of usability.

There is a reason why Pro/ENGINEER and Creo have been in decline for years. You're right—I should simply use a tool designed by people who understand how important usability is. Like SolidWorks.

Spare me the manager-type comments. Believe it or not, outside of your team, nobody cares much about your seniority.

I don't want nor need another software package to do version control. Creo does what it does and I know how to use it. If I needed more, there is Windchill. Thanks anyway. I know Teamcenter and it ties your hands more than I ever wished. But I know how to use that too. Creo is not like "any other piece of software" and in more cases than not, I actually appreciate that. management software is part of a bigger picture to manage a lot of different product life cycle modules. Creo is a small link in a much larger chain. I for one am satisfied that PTC saw to it that I understood their means and methods so this was not an issue for me 15 years ago or today.

The most frustrating piece of software I even used was from Adobe Systems. Don't get me started!

We are here to help people understand how to use their software when they have an issue they simply can't find a way around. We also get stuck from time to time in something seemingly trivial. We help each other! PTC has its flaws, no doubt. But we are here to help, not take a bashing from someone who hasn't even taken the time to review the primer or learned how to navigate the software at a basic level.

We are most happy to help you navigate this "archaic" software package when you need help. But when we provide such, please leave it at that. It is what it is and PTC will not change the way it works anytime soon. There are much more exciting things we would rather PTC concentrate on making the overall experience even better.

if one has mac and other windows...so that means they are different ..so they will have separate name..they can only have the same name when they are 100% similar....and then the one will be called a backup....

there is no concept of working directory in solidworks....

There'd be no two different design softwares if there'd be no two different people both needing a design software.

Yes, Creo is different and at many functionalities archaic, but as Antonius has pointed out, people using Pro/E or Creo got used to some of these things, because you know things that do work don't need to be changed all the time. It could happen that once changed, they'd not work at all.

Just think of what value it'd add to the existing userbase.

Well, we could save to a different folder on the fly, but when all the models used actually need to be in the same Working Directory anyway because of a functionalities like for instance Replace Component. What if I want to work with Creo Parametric offline then? That means out of PDM system. What if Creo tends to crash if I try to load many of the different models from different folders other than WD? What about the meaning of Session in Creo? How would it all have to change then so we get the "Save As"?

This is really asking for trouble.

PTC has tried to change some things over time, like for instance the measurement tool. In my opinion the result it got to should have never come to light.

PLEASE, If you need help, ask for help, we are more than happy to answer questions...If you want to gripe and complain, go to the solidworks forum and tell them how bad Creo is, I'm sure everyone over there would love to hear all the gory details.

The answer to your original question prior to all the ... is FILE - SAVE AS - SAVE A BACKUP.

Steve Williams
Pro/E Version 15/16 (Circa 1995/1996)