cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Imperial and Metric session

stu-aspinall
8-Gravel

Imperial and Metric session

Wanting to setup Creo 7, so that when we login and can use either metric or imperial.  I can do this by having a metric and an imperial start part, I think. But how do I go about it when I start a new drg, If I bring in a metric format, it will bring in our dtl file, but if I bring in an imperial format, it will be the same dtl file......do I have to create a metric and imperial config and setup a mapkey to switch between the two, when required ?

Stuart

8 REPLIES 8

The drawing setup file (.dtl) is embedded in the drawing itself and you can assign different files to different drawings. I would use drawing templates to be sure the drawing setup file is the right one for each drawing. You can have multiple DTL files.

Thanks Ben, yes, so if using an imperial part, would then use an imperial format, which would automatically bring in the imperial dtl file....similar for a metric start part, it would bring in a metric dtl file ?

but doesnt the overall config.pro have an option in there for the dtl file...so points to a specific dtl file, so this dtl file will be the same for both imperial and metric...I will give it a test...

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:stu-aspinall)

Ben mention "templates"...this is not a format. A drawing template is like a start part for a drawing. It has a format and a dtl file already. So you can make a drawing template for imperial units and one for metric units. 

The dtl file only is used when making a new drawing if you DON'T use a template. 

You need a drawing template for each and when you create the new drawing, you pick the appropriate template.

We dont use the template scenario.  We create a part, then create a drawing, and select the "empty with format" option when creating the new drawing, then from the Browse option, select the appropriate size (A0 to A4) format from the list of user formats we have created.  I cant find anything anywhere in BS8888 for whether an imperial part needs and imperial sized format (ie A to E) as is the case using ASME Y14.1, so this is why I'm wondering if we can use the A0 to A4 formats for both, and our units are derived from picking the correct start part...metric or imperial....

@stu-aspinall wrote:

We dont use the template scenario.  We create a part, then create a drawing, and select the "empty with format" option when creating the new drawing, then from the Browse option, select the appropriate size (A0 to A4) format from the list of user formats we have created.  I cant find anything anywhere in BS8888 for whether an imperial part needs and imperial sized format (ie A to E) as is the case using ASME Y14.1, so this is why I'm wondering if we can use the A0 to A4 formats for both, and our units are derived from picking the correct start part...metric or imperial....

Hi,

in case of usage of "empty with format" option, you have to:

• define two versions of dtl file ... metric and imperial
  • immediately after creating a new drawing, load the corresponding dtl into the drawing

Note: Creo is not able transfer metric/imperial settings from model to drawing.

Martin Hanák

Our drawing templates don't set any views, they just bring in the format and a few notes. The templates also allow you to set drawing parameters which are not in the empty format. This would allow you to imbed the right DTL file for your drawings. Take the existing formats into a blank drawing, set the right DTL file and save it with an appropriate name for metric or imperial units; ie. C-metric or C-imperial, etc. I also use a number at the end of my formats and drawing templates so when I make a major change to them, it is easier for the designers to replace the formats with the latest ones.

Where I used to work, we used ASME Y14.1 (A-F) drawing format sizes but all of our designs were in metric with metric dimensioning.

Hello @stu-aspinall

It looks like you have some responses from some community members. If any of these replies helped you solve your question please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so other community members can continue to help you.

Thanks,
Vivek N.
Community Moderation Team.

Top Tags