cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Importing .stp file

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Importing .stp file

I imported a step file of a machine frame that a customer did for us in another software. When I initially opened it and had it in the final assembly, when I insert the next component, I noticed the units were not correct. Using File, Properties, I open up the properties and saw that the units were metric and not what I wanted. I changed them, clicking on the option to not just change the units, but to change the relationship so that 1mm was 1" (i.e. scaling the frame). I continued on, putting the rest of the parts in the assembly. I saved everything. (That was yesterday). Today when I opened up the assembly, the frame had reverted back to it's 1/25.4th self.

Today I imported the file again, with a different name (incase I had messed things up), swapped out the frame in the assemlby. I just finihsed up on the assembly a short time ago. File save everything (twice) just to make sure. Clear history. Opened the file - the large frame was there briefly and then "poof" it was back to the 1/25.4th self again.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, as to what I need to do differently in either importing, assemblying, saving this file to prevent this would be of emence help.

Thanks, Dale

FYI, the first picture is when the part first opens ( I had to take a running print screen to capture this). The second is after the part finished loading. It's as if it knows it is supposed to be the one scale, but then reverts back.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Try exporting it again just after the corrected scale. Then import this new file and see what happens.

This has always been annoying in Pro/E. I wonder if your version already has some level of Automated Topology Bus where it is picking up the information from a log file or something.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Mostly Monday's project to try this.

I'm curious now: does your version have a Scale Model command, Dale? In Creo it is Model>Operations>Scale Model.

When youchange units, you have to be carefrul. If you "convert dimensions", 1" becomes 25.4mm, in other words tha real scale of the model does not change, jus tthe way it's measured (or vice versa). When you "Interpret dimensions" 1" becomes 1mm, and the real scale of the model DOES change.

Top Tags