Intel Graphics Media Accelerator - Student Creo 1.0
I have had huge troubles getting Creo 1.0 Student to run on my laptop (2009 vintage). I finally had success and wanted to post it, in case it could help out others.
I have a: dual core intel 2.4GHz, 4GB, windows 7 64, intel media 965M adapter laptop. On first load, Creo would barely budge, mouse moves would barely show, parts wouldnt rotate, and the program would crash.
I then updated the intel graphics driver. Among other things, it lifted up the OpenGL version to 2.0. This made a great difference. Creo responded well, pre-selection was instant. However, the graphics window would still crash on every other part or assembly that i loaded.
I used the config.pro variable "use_software_openGL" and set it to "yes". This made the system stable. But slowed the graphics way way down to the point it would be too annoying to use.
A PTC tech bailed me out with a suggestion. He told me of another config variable "graphics". In the file -> options -> config editor screen you can add the variable "graphics" - it gets recognized, and then you can adjust the setting. He reccommended "win32_gdi". I tried it and it worked well, good speed and stability, only the image quallity was less than ideal. I saw there is another value for the variable "d3d" which Im pretty sure is the microsoft Direct 3D API. With this option set, the laptop works perfectly!!! Great visuals, great selection, move from screen to screen instantly, no instabilities at all.
I know PTC reccomends OpenGL up around 3.1, which evidently is more than the Intel 965M Media adapter can muster. So I can believe it would have issues if it was using that. I was ready to pay out the $1500 for a new laptop until the PTC employee showed me the light. It never dawned on me that you could switch away entirely from openGL to Direct3D. Very very happy right now.
The take away is that ( maybe only for not super complicated models) there is hope for those of us without dedicated, approved, graphic cards.