cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Is there a way to store default number of decimal digits of dimensions in the part?

habdul
6-Contributor

Is there a way to store default number of decimal digits of dimensions in the part?

The config default_dec_places controls the number of decimal places for dimensions that will be created from the time the config I set and forward, till it's changed again. The issue is that I have two part templates (inch and mm). I'd like the inch template to have dimensions with 3 decimal places while the mm has 2. I tried to trick Creo by editing the mapkey that starts mm part by altering that config to value of 2 (right before part creation) and change it back to 3 right after part is created. But the dims will have 3 places; the config does not store that config value in that part. It only affects future dimensions, not parts. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:habdul)

The way we use Creo is to set defaults at the beginning of the session by reading in the appropriate config.pro file.

Unfortunately, you cannot set up different decimal places for metric vs. imperial.  And apparently it doesn't stay with the part file either.  This means you would need two separate "environments" to jump back and forth.

My solution is a bit simpler with good reason...  I set mine to 4 decimal places.  I want to see the value that will be rounded on drawings.  .1875, derived from an entry of "3/16" for instance will round on drawings but I would rather have its drawing value be accurate so I will manually round it to .1880 in the model so the drawing value is accurate at 3 places of .188.

Therefore, yes, I decide on the number of decimal places at the time of the drawing.

habdul
6-Contributor
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Thanks Tom. And you'd eliminate trailing zeros, I suppose.

I figured it's not possible for a part to store num, of dec. places as data but I though I check. My work-arounds are:

1) set a mapkey to set that config option (2 or 3) so user can switch any time they want

2) set a mapkey to select all part dims and set dec places to 2.

Thanks.

Top Tags