cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Legacy Data Migration

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Legacy Data Migration

PTC has changed the way datums and such are attached to models. Now that I have upgraded to Creo 7, I cannot convert to the new paradigm without buying a license for Legacy Data Migration. I have an older Proe_Flex3C license and we cannot do the legacy data migration that is needed for Creo 7. The older licenses should be upgraded so we can continue working without being charged a fee to use our existing models. Converting to subscriptions has been looked at, but it would cost us 2X in annual fees over what we pay for maintenance now. Our annual maintenance/subscription bill with PTC is over $150K already.

Charging your customers more to keep using your products is just wrong! Update the old legacy licenses.

2 REPLIES 2
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

Switching to subscription is no better.  Every time PTC comes out with something new they put it in a different package.  Unless you're willing to pay extra to switch to the new package (and lose any previously negotiated discounts), you won't get the new functionality.  The whole thing is a crock.  The 'standard packages' for new licenses today includes certain functionality  If the older perpetual licenses and subscriptions were the 'standard packages' when they were originally purchased, then they should continue to get all the same functionality as the current standard packages, as long as maintenance / subscription were kept current.  PTC loves to tout all the things that are included in every package when buying a new seat, but they never mention that many of these things are not included for existing licenses we have been faithfully paying maintenance and subscription fees on for many years.  It's so frustrating.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TomU)

As I did more research into the pricing, it is cheaper to get a subscription of the Creo Advanced Designer bundle than a Legacy Data Migration extensions. Plus, with the AD bundle, we can drop the AFX independent license we have and save even more. 

Charging ~$8K per year for extension subscriptions is ripping off your customers. If the extension subscriptions were about $750/year, that would be more reasonable. The code is already here, just need to turn it on.

Top Tags